Suse 10.2 MacBook Pro Video issue

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by bubba61, Aug 24, 2007.

1. bubba61

bubba61 Bit poster

I got Suse 10.2 to install okay under build 4590 and I have the network working. But I can't get the Suse OS to realize there is a Nvidia chipset in the system. It keeps telling me that my configuration is Framebuffer based and can not be adjusted. So I am stuck at 800x600 resolution. How do I get full video functionality in this installation?

2. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

There is no NVIDIA chipset in Parallels guest OS. There is generic VESA video device emulated inside of Suse 10.2, so the video driver has to be "vesa". You can check it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf in guest OS.

Make sure that you have Parallels Tools installed for mouse sliding and fast resolution changing.

Also you can try already installed OpenSUSE Parallels Virtual Appliance

3. tjhcom

tjhcom Junior Member

This link does not work (OpenSUSE Parallels Virtual Appliance) -- is there a different link?

4. fbronner

fbronner Pro

5. tjhcom

tjhcom Junior Member

Thanks fbronner. I have decided to scrap my OpenSUSE VM, which I installed myself, and try out the PVA. Reason: I can't get my VM to 'power down' and have to manually shut down Parallels. I am hoping the PVA shuts down properly (we will see).

In any case, I have a question regarding the PVA image. I am downloading the three '.rar' files (OpenSUSE) now, but can't find any documentation on what to do with them. I assume that these files can be 'uncompressed' and set up in a directory structure in a similar manner as my existing (MS Windows XP) VM, and then I just open the '.pvs' file from Parallels. Can anyone confirm that this is correct? Is there anything special I need to do to in order to get the three '.rar' files properly positioned in my Mac Hard Drive and file structure?

I tried to search for instructions on both this forum and the PTN pages/forums but could not find these basic instructions.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

6. tjhcom

tjhcom Junior Member

UPDATE: I simply clicked on the first .rar file and the entire three volumes self-extracted. I put the directory under my Parallels directory. It was very straight-forward to open the PVA from Parallels. However, the machine still 'hangs' on shutdown.

I read that this might be due to ACPI, and since OpenSUSE provides an option to install without ACPI, I reinstalled from my 10.2 iso image and selected the option to install without ACPI. No luck -- the shutdown sequence still hangs and I have to force it closed through parallels. Anyone with insight here?

7. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

For now Parallels does not support ACPI. We are working on it.