Can't connect to internet in XP

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ubernos, Aug 18, 2007.

1. ubernos

ubernos Bit poster

The internet was working fine in XP, but now I can't connect. It says that I have limited or no connectivity. However, I can connect to the internet fine in OSX. I connect through airport. Any suggestions?

2. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

In Windows please open Network Connections, right-click on the LAN icon,
    find the Local Area Connection properties, select the Internet Protocol TCP/IP
    properties, open General Tab and select Obtain IP and DNS server
    addresses automatically checkboxes.

After that right-click on the LAN icon and select "Repair".

Best regards,
    John

3. Steve Miller

Steve Miller Bit poster

I have the EXACT same problem. Tried the steps that you recommended to fix the problem, but Windows gives a message to the effect that it can't fix the problem and that I should notify my network administrator (sadly, that would be me).

Any further help is appreciated. Everything was working fine. Probably used Parallels two days ago at latest, and didn't have any problems. FYI, I have a first gen MBP, running OS X 10.4.10 with XP in Parallels.

Thanks,

Steve

4. Steve Miller

Steve Miller Bit poster

Ubernos,

I just solved the problem on my Mac. My Parallels adapter was set to Bridged Ethernet. I switched it to Shared (after first totally shutting down XP), then as soon as I started up XP, it worked and I was once again able to access the internet.

Hope this helps.

Steve

5. tkjazzer

tkjazzer Member

same problem

I'm having the same problem! my settings are set to shared and I've followed the fix instructions but no success. Help?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  6. ramonekalsaw

ramonekalsaw Member

This is a major bug!

I haven't had internet connectivity since April 2007 :(

I had it at first, it was working fine, around the time I did a minor upgrade to v2.x, I lost it, tried everything suggested on this board and did what tech support suggested, then upgraded to 3.0 to see if that worked, but still no connectivity.

So many people complain about this problem so I can't believe this isn't recognized as a serious failing in the software.

When Parallels works, it's amazing; when it doesn't, like with this internet connectivity problem, it feels like buggy ms-ware.

Sign me ... Still Waiting

7. strells

strells Product Expert

This is not a bug. It is most likely a settings problem. If you have an Internet connection in Mac OS X, then there is no reason, other than messed up settings on Parallels, Windows, or your router, that you would not have a connection in Windows. What type of networking do you have Parallels doing for the VM? If you're wireless, is your router using security and/or set up to let only certain MAC addresses connect? There are lots of possibilities of problems that are not indicative of a bug.

Steve

8. ramonekalsaw

ramonekalsaw Member

Steve,

I've spent many hours troubleshooting this problem -- personal trial and error, following suggestions from this forum, communicating via email with Parallels support and implementing their suggestions -- and as I mentioned, after my initial installation of Parallels I started out with a fully functional setup; then, after implementing an upgrade Parallel's emailed to me, I have been without internet connectivity in my Parallel's installation for just about 6 months.

I guess the "bug" that really bugs me is that Parallel's tech support doesn't really provide support. And I agree with you when you say, " It is most likely a settings problem. If you have an Internet connection in Mac OS X, then there is no reason, other than messed up settings on Parallels, Windows, or your router, that you would not have a connection in Windows." But at this point, six months later, having tried everything I can think of, and having followed the directions received from Parallels tech support, here I sit with no internet connection in Windows, and no tech support. So I was very hopeful when you kindly offered your feedback.

Hoping that you can help me unsnafu this problem, here's my VM configuration:

-- Network Adaption Options: I've tried them all several times so I'm no longer sure what should be there.

-- I'm trying to connect through wireless via Airport which connects to my simple Qwest DSL modem, nothing fancy there.

So given that I had a fully functioning internet connection before I did my v2.x upgrade about 6 months ago, and am now running v3.0: Do you have any suggestions about what to do to get connected again?

I'd very much appreciate your insights.

Thanks.

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

As to Parallels support, have you tried giving them a trouble ticket? I have found them immensly helpful.

Hate to be a pest, but I think that strells is probably right. Anyways, let's dig down into this.

Some people have said that you need to use Shared Networking if you use airport, I can use Airport and Bridged so choice shouldn't matter.

Try setting your connection to Bridged with the network adapter set explicitly (not default) to Airport (probably en1: airport adapter). Then, make sure you still have OS X connection. If so, go into your Windows VM and set the Network Settings to DHCP. See if that helps out.

10. strells

strells Product Expert

Eru has a good suggestion, but I wouldn't try bridged first because there may be MAC address blocking on the router which would prevent the wireless connection in Windows from connecting to the router (the MAC address of the ethernet and wireless within the VM is different from the host). I'd try shared networking first, checking in the network connection in Windows to see if I was getting a valid 192.x.x.x address from the Parallels NAT. If you do get a valid IP address but still no internet connection, I'd open the console in Windows and try pinging the Mac IP and then the router (gateway) IP.

Let us know if you see anything, especially if you can get a valid IP address with shared networking.

Steve

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

But you can spoof your MAC address... Unless it does physical checking versus the MAC address (read, expensive routers) your router will never know the difference. I think some say that the Wireless doesn't spoof, I never verified that, it has worked wherever I have gone.

12. ramonekalsaw

ramonekalsaw Member

Based on Eru'S and Strells' suggestions:

1. I set up my Network Adapter Options as:
    Device Status: Enabled
    Emulation: Shared netoworking

2. Then opened Windows VM and at the bottom of the Parallels screen and saw that the icon for internet connection had an 'x' on it, so I clicked on it and selected "Connect" ... and Status changed to "Connected" ... I tried to open Internet Explorer .. but no connection.

3. I then went back and clicked on the internet connection icon at bottom of Parallels screen and (as per Eru) selected ... en1: Airport/Wireless Adapter ... the Windows networking icon then showed that a: "Local Area Connection is now connected ... Speed: 1.0 Gbps" ... Once again I tried to open Windows Explorer ... but still no connection via the browser.

4. I then shut down Windows VM to check my configuration again, and it appears by selecting 'en1:Airport/Wireless Adapter' my Network Adapter Options changed back to "Bridged Ethernet / en1:Airport/Wireless Adapter.

Now ... being an 'advanced beginner' at networking, I could use some pointers regarding these next (suggested) steps:

5. "go into your Windows VM and set the Network Settings to DHCP." (What's the path to "DHCP"?)

6. "... see if I was getting a valid 192.x.x.x address from the Parallels NAT" (Where do I look to get this data?)

7. "open the console in Windows and try pinging the Mac IP and then the router (gateway) IP" (What are the steps for doing this? )

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

13. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

sorry to say
    I just have an ethernet hardwired router and a very old switch
    and it all works plug and play every day

can you live without the wireless thingy?

Hugh W

14. ramonekalsaw

ramonekalsaw Member

Not really. My desktop is on the other side of the house from where the dsl modem is. And, when I did my initial installation of Parallels, before upgrading, the wireless internet connection worked fine.

15. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

We're still in the intro course here...

All this is from memory, so if it doesn't work perfectly, find the closest thing.
    Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Right-Click: Local Network Adapter -> Select: Properties -> TCP/IP Settings -> Configure

Take a peak (on your OS X side) at System Preferences -> Network

Start Menu -> All Programs -> System Utilities -> Command Prompt -> ping -c 10 {Insert IP Here}

No problem. Hope we can get things working.

16. mpmackenna

mpmackenna Bit poster

It may not be a bug, but it needs to be addressed. Parallels likes to assume that you are on a 24 bit mask network and the NAT stuff doesn't oblige when you are trying to reach that machine from outside if your router doesn't have the appropriate network statements to let the two separate masks communicate. I would think Parallels should use an IP that is routable within the subnet that DHCP assigns the host computer. I don't think the average user should have to do network troubleshooting to use their virtual machine.

17. mpmackenna

mpmackenna Bit poster

Is this guy serious? Is this all the help the Parallels Team has to offer?

18. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, I've never had to troubleshoot mine, and I know many others who have not.

Maybe your talk about the assumptions Parallels make are to be nitted about, but other than when I set-up a laptop and use Bridged and Shared depending upon location tied in with different OS X and Windows IP assignment schemes did I really need to dig into things, even then it was just using the alternate config that is just one window away in Windows XP...

I wonder if ramonekelsaw ever got things working or not...

19. mpmackenna

mpmackenna Bit poster

Does your network use a 24 bit mask? Because if it does then the issues to which I was referring would not affect you.

20. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Mmhm... Although I'm pretty sure most home networks use a 24-bit mask, so I think my point remains valid.