What's New/What's Fixed in Beta6 (comments)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Apr 29, 2006.

1. jeffmurphy

jeffmurphy Junior Member

So the AirPort hardware does not allow you to emit packets with a custom/altered mac address (iow write out raw packets to the network)? I noticed that the wired port does. Do you know if this is a 'feature' of the AirPort driver, or the AirPort hardware?

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

This is by design of 802.11 in managed mode.

3. kmself

kmself Bit poster

... well, since they're virtual, you'll need host access anyway. Under Linux you should be able to mount these within the guest by providing an image file. I find this is the easiest way to maintain libraries of floppies anyway: I'll image 'em to disk and burn 'em as I need to a utility disk. Usually I don't even need them live but run them under an emulator (UML, dosemu, etc.), accessing data as needed.

4. kmself

kmself Bit poster

You also fixed my number one gripe: no pipe. Key is now mapped correctly under OS X (host), for a Linux guest. Thanks!

The bridged networking was a very wise move as well. Takes a bit of wrapping your head around it, but allows some really neat tricks.

5. Dean Hester

Dean Hester Bit poster

Has anyone got a connection to a Pocket PC working?

Overall I have been very satisfied with this software and have already pre-ordered a copy.

I still have not been able to connect my iMate PDA2k Pocket PC phone under Windows XP running in Parallels. Has anyone been successfull using Beta 6 to connect to a Pocket PC using ActiveSynch?

6. Dean Hester

Dean Hester Bit poster

ActiveSync almost connects.

Well I tried another time to connect my iMate PDA2k Pocket PC to Windows XP using ActiveSync as I forgot I had to add the USB hardware port on the Parallels VM configuration panel. This time Windows recognized a new device was connected, started to synch to it and responded with the ascending pitch connecting sound and then promptly froze up, requiring a restart.

Has anyone else had more success syncing a Pocket PC running Windows Mobile 2003 with ActiveSync under Windows XP?

7. y3k

y3k Junior Member

Beta 6

Dear Parallels,

Thanks for the great product, it's really awesome what you're doing. I'm upgrading Betas starting from Beta 3 as far as I remember and there is huge improvement in both functionality and quality. Couple of wishes/issues from my side to followup. I'm using new Intel iMac 20" Double Core 2GHz and I have Windows XP installed with all possible updates and service packs:

1. Beta 6 always freezes after suspend at my Mac. You run it again, work for literally about 20 sec and it's all frozen.

2. I have read the forum and found how to enable automatic resolution setting to the maximum at the full screen but I can't disagree with those suggesting this is very much hidden feature, worth to be a bit more "advertised", IMHO.

3. Overall impression is that Beta6 works a bit slower and also slows down the whole system a bit more then the previous Betas.

4. I have tried to install Solaris 10 as another operating system, so far it's up and running but nothing works like networking, sound etc. Do you plan to have VM tools or drivers available for the other operating systems as well, like for XP?

Thanks very much for the great job, looking at your progress I have already pre-purchased Parallels and I think that you should have not split the forum from your main website. Some may say it's a poor advertising to bring up all the issues so loud for those shopping. On the other hand, as a user, I must say your visible responsiveness and speed are buying. It's great that people can see how close your support is working with the users of your product.

8. bgreat

bgreat Junior Member

If you mount the Parallels tools ISO under Solaris, there is a compatible network driver with install instructions in the directory. The mouse requires selecting PS/2 and graphics requires selecting VESA compatible -- with panning disabled.

9. Jay Levitt

Jay Levitt Member

Really nice work here... I just bought a MacBook Pro solely due to the existence of Parallels. I got it up and running with no problem, and was pleasantly surprised to see that even Norton Antivirus works under it.

Like tomhalv, I'd like to use PhotoShop with my Wacom Intuos3 tablet - hopefully that'll be supported soon, and I'd be happy to be an alpha tester for that. (I'm a software developer and can help debug, though I don't have a dev environment on this machine just yet.)

Jay Levitt

10. Hans

Hans Bit poster

Activesync V4.1 and iPAQ 6515d

Hi all,

I connected my iPAQ 6515d to Windows XP (all updates installed) using ActiveSync v4.1. Activesync plays the ascending tones and it keeps playing (stuttering is a better word) the last bit of the highest tone, until I disconnect the iPAQ.
    Only once Activesync completed the connection process so I could browse the iPAQ or start syncing.

11. tomhalv

tomhalv Member

Jay,

I was totally mistaken about the Wacom tablet and PS CS2... My Intuos2 tablet works PERFECTLY on the MBP under PWS. I think I said that it didn't work before I had really tried it with the latest Mac drivers. There is no need for any Wacom Windows drivers. Just get the tablet working in OS X, switch to PWS, get running XP in full screen mode and the tablet works fine from corner to corner!

Tom

12. pmbooks1

pmbooks1 Member

Could you post link to this thread? Thanks

13. Jay Levitt

Jay Levitt Member

It seems Tom and I are actually saying the same basic thing - the tablet works as a basic mouse (hover, drag, click), but I'm not getting the special functionality from the driver; I can't use pen pressure, tilt, eraser, etc. under Photoshop, and of course without the driver there's no way to set up modifier keys, quickstrip, etc. So right now it's functioning as a high-precision, absolute-coordinate mouse.

I imagine the problem is that right now, Parallels seems to take great pains to share each device between Windows and Mac. That means it has to understand and emulate the keyboard, mouse, network, etc. etc. so they can share nicely.

I'd be perfectly willing to let Windows be the solitary owner of some USB devices, such as the tablet, Keyspan serial port, etc. After all, the only reason I'm using them in Windows is because I can't use them on the Mac in the first place.

So maybe that option could show up in a future beta? Seems like it's a lot easier to provide "generic" support for exclusive USB devices than shared ones.

Jay

14. y3k

y3k Junior Member

I would better explain instead of posting the link. Simply run parallels, go to the Preferences (not the virtual PC settings but Parallels program preferences, find the tab "User Interface" and un-check the box "Change MacOS Resolution". In my case no more work was needed - it simply started to utilize my maximum resolution when switched to full screen. Some people say it's necessary to go to full screen and set the maximum resolution for the first time - then it would remember it.