Mojave as Guest OS

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by NosillaCast, Jul 6, 2018.

1. NosillaCast

NosillaCast Member

I'm a new user and trying to figure out how to install Mojave as a guest OS on top of High Sierra. I've made a bootable installer of Mojave (as a DMG disk image and also on a thumb drive) but Parallels simply doesn't see it.

The only other option I can think of is to install High Sierra from my recovery partition with Parallels, and then enroll that OS into the beta program and install the beta of Mojave on top of High Sierra.

Any advice?

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, if you are running Parallels Desktop 13, then just click File -> New -> Install Windows or Other Os -> Choose Manually, then drug-n-drop the Install Mojave.app to the window.

3. NosillaCast

NosillaCast Member

Oh, good grief - how did I miss that??? Thanks Elric!

4. ParallelsU130

ParallelsU130 Member

That would be peyote presumably, it being Mojave?

5. Entente_Cordiale

Entente_Cordiale Bit poster

Elric, on my Mac Pro (early 2009) with MacPro5,1 firmware and High Sierra, the install gets going but stops with the screen "Installing macos Mojave on this Mac requires that all graphics cards have Metal support and that FileVault is diabled."
    Both of these are true for my Mac Pro, but in any case, what is their relevance to a Guest OS? And how can I proceed?
    Hope you can help!

Mojave in Parallels.jpeg

6. Marc Hoffman

Marc Hoffman Member

I just upgraded to the new Parallels Desktop 14, and I'm still seeing the "Installing macOS Mojave on this Mac requires that all graphics cards have Metal support and that FileVault is disabled."

My host OS is macOS High Sierra (10.13.6) running on a Mac Pro (2012).

7. Entente_Cordiale

Entente_Cordiale Bit poster

Thanks for your post, Marc.
    My workaround for this has been to use my partner's more recent iMac to create the .pvm file, and then bring that back to my ageing Mac Pro. Now I can use Software Update in Mojave to keep up to date.
    If you don't have access to a recent Mac, it looks like your stuck for the moment!