What to restore?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MarcelK3, Jul 22, 2018.

1. MarcelK3

MarcelK3 Junior Member

Hi folks, after updating to the latest Parallels version, new parallels tools were installed on my Win10 VM. Or at least, it was tried.
    It didn't succeed (very generic error message), and now i'm stuck with a more or less useless Win10 VM. Parallels support have been at it for 4 hrs, but they can't fix it. They advise me to do a clean install. Well, no. Too much work went into that Win10 VM.

However, i have a time machine backup. Do i just restore the win10 PVM file, or do i also need to install the parallels program itself. Because if i only restore the PVM, wouldn't Parallels want to install new tools again (rendering my Win10 useless again)?

Thoughts?

2. Hi MarcelK3. You can just restore the '.pvm' file from the Time Machine backup and check if it works fine. Parallels Tools will be installed within the virtual machine.

3. MarcelK3

MarcelK3 Junior Member

Thanks, but that's what i'm trying to avoid, as that is THE problem; parallels tools cannot be installed anymore.

4. Parallels Tools provides the necessary drivers for the virtual machine to work without any issues. The tools will be updated only if any major Windows or Parallels Desktop updates are installed. You can restore the '.pvm' file from the Time Machine backup without deleting the virtual machine file which is already located on the Mac. Start the restored virtual machine and check everything works fine and then delete the one which is not working properly. Also, create a Snapshot by selecting Actions (from the Mac menu bar) -> Take a Snapshot. So that you can revert to the Snapshot easily if the virtual machine is not working properly.

5. MarcelK3

MarcelK3 Junior Member

I have successfully restored my Windows VM from my Timemachine backup. However now, with every reboot/start of the Win VM, it wants to reinstall parallel tools. I don't want to do this, as this was the root cause for all the problems to start with. Is there a way to turn this auto install of Parallels tools off?

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @MarcelK3, Parallels Tools is a set of drivers for the guest OS that is installed in your VM. It helps you use your virtual environments in the most comfortable and efficient way. We recommend you to install Parallels Tools in the guest operating system.

7. MarcelK3

MarcelK3 Junior Member

Hi, i know what parallels tools do, but again (from the initial post):
    Hi folks, after updating to the latest Parallels version, new parallels tools were installed on my Win10 VM. Or at least, it was tried.
    It didn't succeed (very generic error message), and now i'm stuck with a more or less useless Win10 VM. Parallels support have been at it for 4 hrs, but they can't fix it.

Installing parallels tools fails, with a very generic error. Parallels supports wasn't able to fix it and wanted me to do a clean Win10 install.
    So, again, i just want to know how to stop parallels installing the tools everytime i boot the VM (as, again, they wreck my Win VM).

8. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi MarcelK3,
    We have checked the escalated ticket and found it is due to Windows registry corruption. You might think that the issue with Windows registry started after updating Parallels Desktop but it is not the corruption was there before the update and Parallels Tools installation failure made us found the corruption. You can try the steps given in this article to stop Parallels Tools installation on every restart but take a backup of the pvm file before attempting the steps.

9. MarcelK3

MarcelK3 Junior Member

I wonder if that's the case, as i had no problems whatsoever with the Windows VM before installing the new parallels tools. Since i restored the VM from my Time machine backup, i have been using it with no problems, installation other software. If the registry were to be corrupt, wouldn't i have seen many other issues?
    Anyway, this is not moving forward.

10. Mak Burns

Mak Burns Junior Member

Hi, I use Wind8. And when I restored it the problem is not gone.