Parallels Desktop 14: Windows 10 BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by NicholasR4, Aug 27, 2018.

1. NicholasR4

NicholasR4 Bit poster

I am experiencing a BSOD with Windows 10 and Parallels 14:
    upload_2018-8-27_19-37-35.png

Does anyone here know how to fix this?

2. Michael@Parallels

Michael@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Nicolas, did you try fixing this issue with Windows own means? This article might help.

3. NicholasR4

NicholasR4 Bit poster

I did. It would seem Windows became unbootable after installing (and attempting to use) Parallels 14. This is bootcamp install that I never had issues with before.

I would appreciate anything to help. It would seem Parallels changed something in the boot loader that Microsoft startup repair cannot fix, probably part of the integration stage when I first started it up.

In the meantime, I am suggesting that friends use VMWare, which offers many of the same features. Have the developers at Parallels been made aware of the issue?

4. Michael@Parallels

Michael@Parallels Parallels Support

Our developers are investigating [critical process died] error regarding the ordinary VM. Checking it on a Boot Camp based one would also be useful, so can you please reproduce the issue, create a tech report and post here the tech report ID? Here's a KB describing how to create a technical report.
    Two more points to clarify:
    1) Does Windows boot natively in Boot Camp?
    2) Did you upgrade macOS to 10.14 and if so, when was it?

5. NicholasR4

NicholasR4 Bit poster

1) Windows stopped booting natively in Boot Camp after I first ran Parallels 14.
    2) I did upgrade to macOS 10.14 before I installed parallels. I was running the Beta 6 (18A371a) when Parallels 14 was first installed.

Since Windows stopped booting after installing Parallels and it was not fixable, I performed a clean install with Bootcamp. I just tried to run this with Parallels and now it blue-screens as well (at least in parallels -- will update after trying to boot physically again. I hope I don't need to clean install again).

EDIT (update): Fortunately, Bootcamp does work when physically rebooting my machine. Parallels 14, however, does not work.

At first boot, the error was "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA." Subsequent tries to boot with Parallels (including after rebooting my machine into bootcamp) have come up with the same error, along with "stop code 0x0000021f" and SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED" (below). Note that windows does always boot properly on its own after the clean install but not with Parallels.

[​IMG]
    <HTML image support is broken in the Parallels forums -- link is https://ibb.co/kbXCvK >

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018