Virtual Hard Drive crashed without warning and is unrecoverable

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by HershS, Aug 10, 2018.

1. HershS

HershS Junior Member

I posted this earlier in the wrong forum. Guest os was windows 10, not OS X.

Was just using a text editor in the VM and then it suddenly hard stopped and is unrecoverable.

My license is old (Parallels 11). I'm happy to upgrade immediately if you are certain you can recover this virtual machine. I tried to submit a support ticket with all the info but it just rejected the request because my license is a 2 years old.

I tried creating a new machine and attaching the disk, no luck. I also tried the instructions here:

https://kb.parallels.com/en/113241

and the terminal response is that the file is not a valid HDD image. The HDD file is still inside the PVM package.

Literally no reason for this kind of failure, but I need the data on that machine. I'll pay the fee if that's what it takes to get this resolved quickly.

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @HershS , please let us know the size of your Pvm file. Please right click of your pvm file and select get info.

3. HershS

HershS Junior Member

103.75 GB.

upload_2018-8-10_17-55-45.png

upload_2018-8-10_17-56-20.png

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @HershS, could you tell me how long have you been facing this issue? Also, please check your system.log for errors in the Console (Applications/Utilities/Console). Type "i/o" (without quotes) at Console's search bar and check if you can see "I/O error"

5. HershS

HershS Junior Member

This happened Thursday night PST, so less than 72 hours ago.

The PVM sits on an external SSD, not my primary internal drive. I have plugged in the SSD and have no issues access other files on it or anything.

I even tried loading the PVM with the console app running and there are no i/o errors. I still just get the "bundle is invalid" message when using parallels to open the VM and there are still no i/o errrors reporting in console.

When showing package contents on the pvm, there are a bunch of files that say "Conflicted"... that can't be good, can it? Also, there appears to be log files in there, if that will help. Like I said before, I'm happy to purchase an upgrade license if that will get this resolved faster.

upload_2018-8-11_13-14-25.png

6. HershS

HershS Junior Member

Nothing?

7. HershS

HershS Junior Member

bump

No ideas? No one wants to look at the logs?

8. HershS

HershS Junior Member

Bump - still no support?

9. mmika

mmika Pro

HershS, could you choose 'generate technical data'/'report a problem' from a Parallels menu, send it to parallels and share its number here?
    You can make it any time, but it's always better to make it at the moment when you encounter a problem.

10. HershS

HershS Junior Member

Been a few days, but I finally got around to taking care of this for you.

The report was just sent, and its report iD: 273075527

11. mmika

mmika Pro

It wasn't good idea to store VM in dropbox folder.
    I would suggest to remove '[conflicted]' from file names.
    In your case Parallels can not find a file with VM config called 'config.pvs', because it is called 'config [conflicted].pvs'
    Remove all those ' [conflicted]' and try again. Hope disk image content was not messed up with cloud...

HershS likes this.
  12. HershS

HershS Junior Member

Thank you, this did work. I had to remove all the conflicted tag from all the filenames, and also within the hdd package contents as well.

I'm curious what made you think this was in a Dropbox folder though? It wasn't. The PVM was on an external SSD, where I've kept it for about 2 years without issue. Dropbox doesn't even support external disks last time I looked, otherwise I probably would have tried to sync it back into the cloud for backup purposes.

13. mmika

mmika Pro

Your VM is located at /Users/$YOUR_USER_NAME/Dropbox/Parallels/Windows 10.pvm that doesn't look like your SandDisk external drive...
    At this moment google tells that this word added to filename by Google drive... Dropbox adds similar text too but a bit different. I'm not familiar with all those cloud solutions. Anyway there is a KB published for your case https://kb.parallels.com/en/111739 this is enough to stop the investigation what Dropbox folder/mount point is.
    I was glad to help you.

14. HershS

HershS Junior Member

interesting... actually the path you're seeing is a different separate VM that I created after this one stopped working. It isn't on the external drive, because I assumed that was the problem.

But as long as this one is working and recovered, its a moot point. thanks again for your help.