Windows 7 VM unusable when returning from Suspend following upgrade to 14

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Kevin_Murphy, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Kevin_Murphy

Kevin_Murphy Bit poster

After upgrading to Parallels 14, if I allow my Windows 7 Professional VM to be suspended, when it wakes from suspension, it will not function properly. No applications will open, and only applications that were previously open can be interacted with - though eventually they will not allow themselves to be closed. Shutting down by the OS interface does not work. If I ask VMWare to issue the shutdown, the shutdown starts, but after a long wait, I get a message that "1 program still needs to close: (Waiting for) Task Host Window" to "execute shutdown tasks and stop tasks that are already running". The only way to shut down the machine and get it back to working is to Stop or Reset it from the Actions menu in Windows 7. On a fresh reboot, the machine works fine. If it is suspended in any way, it eventually becomes unusable.

My problem seems very similar to the ones being reported in the thread below, except that there is no CPU spike for me on either the host or the Guest side:
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads/performance-problems-in-windows-10-after-upgrade-to-v14.345305/

In addition to running a reinstall of Parallels Tools on the VM, I ran disk cleanup and got back 7GB of space on this VM's hard drive. The computer has been cleanly rebooted several times, in addition to the resets. All automatic "Suspend" or "Pause" settings in the VM have been disabled for now.

I have sent a Technical Data Report while the machine was non-functional after having attempted to open several applications. The ID number is 273344487. Since the issue can be replicated reasonably easily, I can send another one while the machine is trying to reboot, if that would help.

Thanks.

-Kevin

2. mmika

mmika Pro