Kali wont boot after Parallels 14 upgrade

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by hoekma, Sep 1, 2018.

1. hoekma

hoekma Bit poster

I had a copy of Kali 2018.1 running on Parallels for mac. After the Parallels 14 upgrade it wouldn't boot. I created a fresh 2018.3 install, and it would boot until I installed the Parallels tools and then it developed the same brain tumor. On boot it scrolls through a ton of stuff and finally stops with screen shown in the file upload.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  2. AlexD3

AlexD3 Bit poster

Same thing here.

3. -Overlord-

-Overlord- Bit poster

I have the same here - but it started with Parallels 13 someday (since some Kali update crashed it). Today I bought Parallels 14 and have nearly the same issue.

4. PaulR8

PaulR8 Bit poster

As per the last couple of years, the issues with Kali, seem to be down to Parallels tools. Apart from the issues with installing parallels tools and the missing linux headers, and parallels tools looking for 4.17.0-kali1 headers when booted into 4.17-kali3, which actually has up to date headers available. Now, the fresh install works fine, you boot into 4.17.0-kali1 and jump through the hoops to install parallels tools, which seems to go fine in the end. Had to manually download and install the correct headers. Once you've installed parallels tools and then reboot, the system breaks. Boot hangs at [ OK ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes. There have been problems with parallels tools and Kali for over a year, maybe over two. Will it ever get fixed?

MatthewS14 likes this.
  5. hoekma

hoekma Bit poster

Hopefully so @PaulR8....it was working fine before the upgrade, so hopefully someone who knows more about the changes can help figure it out

6. PaulR8

PaulR8 Bit poster

Was it working with Parallels Tools installed?

7. HakanK2

HakanK2 Bit poster