Xorg 1.20 not compatible! Latest 13.3.1-43365 fixes nothing!

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by LegendT, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wingdo

wingdo Pro

I have gotten errors in logs when server and server-common have mismatched version numbers. I don't see a point in updating part of xorg-server to 1.20 and leaving part at 1.19.

Also, if Parallels tools are removed for whatever reason, won't the vesa drivers be needed to display xorg while troubleshooting?

2. Bachsau

Bachsau Junior Member

Weird. There were no such errors on my system and that package seems to consist only of some basic directories and manpages. The point is that the more packages you downgrade, you increase the likelyhood of pulling in even more downgrades, which is why I like to go with the smallest number of outdated packages possible.

On that you are right. If prlvideo is not available, the vesa drivers can be used to get basic video output. But installation and updating of parallels tools needs to be done from terminal anyway, because the graphical installer is dumb enough to try to restart the X server during installation, killing itself in the process and leaving you with the tools only partly installed.

Unfortunately, bad Linux devs are still all over the place.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  3. wingdo

wingdo Pro

Thanks I will update the post, and my pacman.conf then. I am leaving the vesa drivers in there as they bitch like hell over xorg-server not being at 1.20

4. wingdo

wingdo Pro

Interestingly enough, the latest Fedora Rawhide (Fedora 30) does not have any issues and it is running Xorg 1.20.1 Rawhide 29 would hang just like Manjaro

5. LegendT

LegendT Bit poster

I've reported long time ago, got an immutable response that "they're working on it but don't have an ETA"! That's what Parallels have done every time.

6. wingdo

wingdo Pro

Yesterday's update seems to have fixed the issue.

7. MarcoM3

MarcoM3 Bit poster

Are you on parallels 14? I'm on 13 and still have the issue, tried to update parallels but it doesn't find any updates, I'm on 13.3.2 (43368) and parallels tools installer log still says it doesn't have modules for Xorg 1.20.1.

Parallels: This has been an issue for over a month now, what's your ETA on solving this? Also do I get a free upgrade to version 14 now as I haven't been able to use the product I bought for over a month?!

8. DougG2

DougG2 Bit poster

I can confirm that with Parallels 14.01(45154) on Mojave, Kali with xserver-xorg-core 1.20.1-1 is indeed working once you update to the latest parallels tools

9. HakanK2

HakanK2 Bit poster

PD 13 Tools is still not compatible with the new Xorg version. Theoretically you can buy perpetual licenses and use them as long as you like. Practically you have to buy a new version every year which in effect is the same as subscription. :(

10. wingdo

wingdo Pro

Yes, I am on v14.

11. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi all. Thank you for your posts/suggestions. Please be informed that Parallels Desktop 14 doesn't support Xorg/X-server 1.20 (and so Parallels 13 certainly won't either). The only solution at this time is to use the previous version of Linux kernel with Xorg below 1.20. Additionally, the engineering team is aware of this issue and they are working to release a fix in a future build. Changes in the product can be tracked on the corresponding KB article page: - http://kb.parallels.com/124262 | http://kb.parallels.com/124263 -.

12. Alfred E Neuman

Alfred E Neuman Bit poster

H
    It seems wingdo has it working on Parallels 14.01(45154), however you are telling us it will not??!?

13. cubadonis

cubadonis Bit poster

So, this is not a solution but a suitable workaround in many circumstances. If its possible you can exclude all xorg* Updates during the update process (e.g CentOS7/RedHat7)
    yum update --exclude=xorg-x11\* --exclude=libX11\* --exclude=pkgconfig\* --exclude=libyami\*

It would be nice if there was a software compatibility list or something else that saves hours of searching in this "knowledge database"

14. mustafay1

mustafay1 Junior Member

Hello I need to apply theese steps at Kali 2018.4 but It didn't work. Did you try same steps after new release? or Do you have any new solution without Parallel 14 upgrade! :(

15. mustafay1

mustafay1 Junior Member

update? no