Add configuration of default response to OS shutdown request

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by GregWaterloo, Apr 20, 2018.

1. GregWaterloo

GregWaterloo Junior Member

I am part of Apple's public Beta program. As a result, I get notified every couple weeks that there is a new version of the OS. And each morning I come in to see a dialog box in parallels saying "what would you like to do with the running guest" (paraphrased) and the options are shutdown, suspend, cancel.
    The end result is that the OS doesn't get updated because parallels prevented the necessary reboot and I have to take time out of my day to do the installation. I keep parallels running all the time because I am doing windows development, so I never remember each night to suspend the VM.

Please add a config option to the VM that allows us to specify the default action on to this shutdown / suspend question. You could do something like the Mac OS reboot dialog. It puts up the 60-second timer with a default action. If the user doesn't do anything in the 60 seconds, then it does the default action. And one of those actions could be cancel.

I would personally set it to suspend and let it the OS get updated while I am happily sleeping.

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

This option is already here, please let me know if it works for you:
    Screenshot 2018-10-01 at 19.41.08.png

3. GregWaterloo

Is this in the latest version? I am running version 13 and that option is not there.

4. alev

alev Parallels Team

It is available in version 13 too. Make sure to check "Custom" radio button.

if it is not, please share how Options > Startup and Shutdown looks in your case.

5. GregWaterloo

This is what mine looks like. I will say that I took this while the vm client was running. Does that option only show up when the client is shutdown?

Attached Files:

6. alev

alev Parallels Team

Shame on me! "On Mac Shutdown" is for Pro Edition and it manages virtual machines that are set to be running in background.

For Home&Student Edition the option your are looking for is "On Window Close".
    When macOS installs update and then tries to reboot, it closes all other apps windows. Here you get this "Ask me what to do". And it blocks macOS reboot required to install an update. You can set it to "Suspend" as you described.

7. GregWaterloo

Ok, great. I will change that setting. Thank you.