Parallels 13 - Virtual Machine and external hard drives not mounting on Mac OS desktop

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by chicago, Aug 31, 2017.

1. chicago

chicago Bit poster

I've installed Parallels 13. I've reinstalled Tools. After many reboots, I cannot get my Windows virtual drive to mount on my Mac desktop. Also when I plugged in a thumb drive or flash drive and had it connected to Parallels, it, too, would mount to my Mac desktop and I could access the drive from Mac also, in addition to doing it in Parallels.

Anyone else have this happening and what's the fix, or is it a bug?

Thanks!

2. RobertsB

RobertsB Bit poster

I second this. I have this exact same issue after upgrading from Parallels 12 to 13. I can confirm that the issue persists on a fresh install of Parallels 13 on a brand new MacBook Pro. Upgrading to Parallels 13.0.1 doesn't seem to help the issue either. This definitely appears to be a bug.

3. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @chicago & @RobertsB , please click Parallels icon > Configure > Options > Sharing > Share Windows > check "Access Windows drive from Mac" option.

4. RobertsB

RobertsB Bit poster

This does not work on Parallels 13. The box was already checked. Unchecking and re-checking the box does absolutely nothing as well.

5. chicago

chicago Bit poster

I did that; it was already checked.

What I did do is go into Finder, go to Shared in the sidebar, click on your Parallels virtual drive in the sidebar Shared category. Then double click on your Parallels virtual drive in the main/big Finder window and it mounted on my Mac desktop.

HOWEVER, when I shut Parallels down completely for a period of time and restarted it, the virtual drive did NOT mount again on the Mac desktop. I had to repeat the process of going into Finder again.

Bottom line, it does not do this automatically like it did in all the earlier versions of Parallels.

6. ThomasK11

ThomasK11 Bit poster

Has this Bug been fixed in Version 13.1.0?

7. JeremyT1

JeremyT1 Bit poster

I'm on version 13.1.1 and am still seeing this issue, any update? Pretty ridiculous that this still isn't working.

8. ThomasK11

ThomasK11 Bit poster

... and in Version 13.2.0? Would be great if the Parallels Support does not ignore this thread.

9. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @ThomasK11 , please try uninstalling & re installing Parallels Desktop for mac and check if that helps.

10. ThomasK11

ThomasK11 Bit poster

Hello Arun, i tried to update from Version 12.2, after that i also test it with uninstalling & reinstalling, but nothing helps.

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ThomasK11, can you please send us a problem report collected right after the error and a splash screen (Help menu > Send Technical Data...)? This will help us significantly, please reply me back with the report ID number.

12. ThomasK11

ThomasK11 Bit poster

There is no error screen, and i stay on Version 12.2 still the bug has been fixed.

13. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ThomasK11, we apologize for any inconvenience this brings. Please provide the Report ID here and we can help!

14. ShangJ

ShangJ Bit poster

Still got the problem in 13.3.0 (43321). Tried using the terminal to use "Parallels Mounter" binary directly, mounted .pvm with ntfs format correctly (though not so with HFS+). However, finder stopped working when I tried unmounting the drives but returned normal after quitting "Parallels Mounter" process in Activity Monitor. Might be a problem with High Sierra not completely fixed.

15. ToddN2

ToddN2 Bit poster

Any resolution to this. I am having the same problem and it is quite a hassle for me. I am running OSX High Sierra and attempting to share with Windows 10 Pro. It works fine on Windows 7.

16. jonz1

jonz1 Bit poster

PROBLEM
    Hi guys, this worked for me. I had Parallels 12 for mac sierra. I then uninstalled both windows and parallels. later i installed parallels and windows. but the drives were not showing up in windows. I tried changing all the settings and parameters but in vain. i even reinstalled the whole thing couple of times. but nope still not working.

all this time (from second installation onwards), i was trying to install the software and the OS in one of my SD cards and in another folder of my computer. i tried to reset all the settings to default. nothing seemed promising.
    SOLUTION!!
    I uninstalled the windows OS again and tried to reinstall it once again. BUT, this time i did not install it in the folder or memory space (external SD card) i wanted, but rather installed in the shared folder (which is the default folder recommended by parallels). this selection has to be made when you install the new OS using Parallels.

There are three folders in USERS FOLDER (click 'Go' from Finder, top of the screen - Macintosh HD - Users) (in Mac OS), namely 'user' (your personal stuff), 'shared' and 'guest' (seeing a guest account depends upon whether you have turned it on or not). So, in summary, i installed my Windows OS (win7) in shared folder and now it works like a charm. i can find all my mac drives in Windows and even USB drives are shared. the clipboard is also shared.

PS: Forgive my bad English (English is my fourth language) and this is my personal experience and there could be some technical mistakes that i have said. kindly forgive me.

17. JamesMcDowell

JamesMcDowell Member

Thanks jonz1, but that didn't work for me either.

I have a couple drives that are connected directly to the Parallels VM. Only the c: drive is showing up on the Mac side, so for right now file sharing is broken.