Don't display "... Access the Microphone" message when Microphone is Muted

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Stephen Van Dellen, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Stephen Van Dellen

Stephen Van Dellen Member

Since I upgraded to Mohave, Parallels is displaying an alert box that says Parallels wants to access the microphone with instructions how to enable that in MacOS's System Preferences pretty often. KB 124523 says that's deliberate. I never use the camera or microphone from Windows. I started reading how malware can access a computer's camera and microphone without the user's knowledge or permission last year so I set the microphone in Parallels' Devices -> Sound to Mute. It seems to me the mute setting should tell Parallels that turning off the microphone is intentional and disable the alert.

2. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello Stephen Van Dellen,
    Kindly follow the instructions from this link and check if it helps

3. Stephen Van Dellen

The linked article, KB 124523, describes how to enable Parallels and, I presume Windows, to access the microphone. But, as the original post said, I don't want Windows to be able to access the microphone.

4. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Please go to the same macOS System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > go to Microphone and then uncheck the Parallels Desktop option.

5. Stephen Van Dellen

I've explained twice that I do NOT want Windows to be able to use the microphone. Both times, you've suggested that I allow Parallels to access the microphone in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Microphone. If I do that, how else would I prevent Windows from accessing the microphone?

6. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

If you uncheck the Parallels Desktop option for a device then it will not be enabled in the Windows side.

7. Stephen Van Dellen

Yes, but then how do I stop Parallels from displaying the "Parallels would like to access the microphone" alert every time it starts up? It seems to me that if Parallels' Configuration -> Sound -> Input is set to Mute, Parallels should assume I intend for it not to have access to the microphone and skip the alerts. Or give us some other way to tell it, "Yes, I know you don't have access to the microphone. I intend it that way. Don't bug me about it."

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @Stephen Van Dellen, we have already forwarded your request to the Engineering team and this issue will be fixed in the upcoming build of Parallels Desktop 14. Stay Tuned!

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @Stephen Van Dellen, we released a new update Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac Update 14.1.0 (45387) and this update addressed this issue. To check for updates, click on the Parallels Desktop menu on Mac menu bar and select Check for Updates: http://kb.parallels.com/124521