Reclaiming disk space on PD14 takes HOURS

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RHS, Oct 5, 2018.

1. RHS

RHS Hunter

iMac version 18.3
    Intel Core i5 3.5Gz
    16GB RAM
    1TB SSD HD
    I'm compressing approximately 145GB of space from my PD14 Win10 VM.
    Ever since I upgraded my clunky old machine to this one, it can take up to several HOURS to compress the VM.
    WHY?
    I started around 1:30PM and it's STILL going! 6 hours later.
    I know eventually it will finish.
    I think it has something to do with that pesky "purgeable space" that Mojave uses and won't let us clear it out but I can't be sure.
    Anyone else experiencing this??

2. RHS

RHS Hunter

I"m calling it. PD13 or PD14 it doesn't matter. Parallels desktop is GARBAGE. It has been 10 HOURS and it's still compressing. I know if I kill the process it will corrupt the VM file and corrupt my file system. I HATE HATE HATE Parallels Desktop.

3. RHS

RHS Hunter

It looks like Parallels keeps figuring out new and exciting ways to corrupt my Mac OS. Reclaiming disk space completely hung up and now has corrupted my file system. I will have to reinstall....again. I have another forum post about file system corruption in this forum. No one at Parallels has responded.

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @RHS , we always suggest customers to take a back up of the virtual machine before reclaiming disk space. We apologize for the inconvenience caused. Please make sure you are taking a back up before making any changes to virtual machine hard disk.

5. RHS

RHS Hunter

I always back up my VM. That is not the point. The point is, when reclaiming disk space, there is an issue between Mojave's "purgeable space" and PD14 trying to use it to shrink the VM file. I have another forum post titled "Mac host file system corruption during shrinking of PD13 Win10 VM". PLEASE read it.
    I am not the only user suffering from this.

AlexandreP1 likes this.