Problem accessing git repos on shared folders: prlfs_release returns error (-22)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Bex, Aug 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. StephenR8

StephenR8 Junior Member

I pestered Parallels support for an update (it'd been 6 weeks since I heard anything about the issue) and got a response this morning:

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for following up on the investigation of the issue you've reported.

We've checked the status of the investigation and can inform you that according to the available information the issue will be fixed in the upcoming Parallels Desktop 14 update.

Due to the fact that the Development team doesn't share ETA for the release of the update the Support team cannot provide you with ETA respectively, regrettably.

From our side we can advise subscribing to the article mentioned below to receive a notification when the update will be released:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/124521

2. VaclavS

VaclavS Junior Member

Yeah, the exact same, word by word, boilerplate reply I got. I managed to escalate to non-robot support (quite an accomplishment in itself), but in the end got substantially the same answer, only phrased differently as an actual human on-topic response.

3. StephenR8

StephenR8 Junior Member

My reply did include a little extra at the end - I complained to them that it's a little ironic I had to renew my subscription (which ostensibly gives me continued upgrades) while I cannot in fact take advantage of said upgrades - they gave me some spiel about how the subscription means I was free to use the older version too, missing the point that without the subscription pricing, I'd still have the old licence to use.

4. StephenR8

StephenR8 Junior Member

I notice that Parallels Desktop v14.1.0 is out now (see https://kb.parallels.com/en/124521)

Has anyone updated to it yet? I'll try it later today if I don't hear a response from someone who has (and had issues still).

5. StephenR8

StephenR8 Junior Member

I've had v14.1.0 running for a few days, and haven't seen this issue re-occur.

6. ZIMZ

ZIMZ Member

I'm having problems accessing git repos in a folder I'm sharing from my macOS host (accessing it via /mnt/psf on openSUSE Leap 15). I've noticed it mostly with Git repos, where for example a "git clone" terminates with a bus error, and a "git pull" exits with "error: fetch died of signal 7".

7. ZIMZ

ZIMZ Member

I believe I'm seeing the same issue via the vagrant provider. Changes on the host system are not reliably seen by daemons in the guest until I restart the guest VM.

Restarting the daemons does not work, and annoyingly, interactive programs called from a shell (e.g. `less` or `grep`) in the guest *do* see the correct version of the file, while daemons see odd half-changed files (possibly caused by auto-save on the host?).

I'm going to go look for/file a support request, and probably downgrade to v13 for now.

8. TobiasB8

TobiasB8 Bit poster

I have this exact same issue since upgrading from v17 to v18 on my m1 macbook using Windows 11 ARM in Parallels. I open Git repos located in Windows in Sourcetree on my mac only to not being able to do anything after a few minutes and getting the error 'git log' failed with code 10:'' using the git cli in vscode on mac (again opening the repo located in windows) gives a 'bus error git log'. Also had it happen that everything magically restores a few minutes later and I can use Sourcetree for everything again like I'm used to with v17.

It's not that my Windows is paused (I disabled that, it's always running) but it seems like some kind of process allowing files to be read by certain programs is verry spotty. Can I get an official response from Parallels that this is being looked into? All you need to do to replicate the issue is clone a git repo in windows 11 arm on an m1 macbook and open the repo in sourcetree on macos.

9. JohanB6

JohanB6 Bit poster

I had a similar problem, when I copied my git repos to my \\mac\\docs folder.
    I tested this command from this link and it worked (see note on safety), there are other options as well.
    git config --global --add safe.directory *
    Not sure how safe it is (no warranties implied or otherwise), but it allows me to share my repos between VMs now.
    bash - How to add directory recursively on git safe.directory? - Stack Overflow