After installing Parallels Desktop 13 Windows requires a new license

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by OttoM, May 30, 2018.

1. OttoM

OttoM Bit poster

I have a new Macbook Pro on which I want to use also Windows 10. At first I installed Windows 10 using Boot Camp. This Window version works just fine.
    Then I decided that I to install Parallels Desktop 13 in order to switch easier between Mac and Windows. I succeeded to install it and My Boot Camp.pvm was created.
    But now, everytime that I start Windows under Parallels it required to add a license. I tried to use the license that came with the purchase of Windows 10, but then I get the prompt that this license is already installed on another machine.
    Anyone any clue how to solve this?

NickB18 likes this.
  2. JosephT5

JosephT5 Bit poster

I recently ran across the same situation. I installed and activated Windows 10 via Boot Camp, then installed Parallels using the Boot Camp Partition to create a Virtual Machine (Using the Parallels Boot Camp Install Process). When logging on to Windows 10 through Parallels my Product Key is not valid.

Parallels provided a strange response to my question... I was told by Parallels Customer Support to simply ignore the activation errors I receive when using Windows 10 through Parallels 13. I wonder if this will shut down Windows 10 permanently for me using both Boot Camp and Parallels.

3. Hi there. Please contact Microsoft Support to reset the Windows product key. Then follow the steps from this article to activate Windows virtual machine created using Parallels Desktop and the Windows installed in the BootCamp partition.

4. JosephT5

JosephT5 Bit poster

I contacted Microsoft Windows Activation Support twice this evening and they refuse to reset my Windows Product Key. :( I've spent hours on this already and don't know what to do. I feel stuck in the middle

5. JosephT5

JosephT5 Bit poster

I called Microsoft again for a 3rd time this morning and they insist that I must purchase a new Windows 10 license. I already own a Windows 10 Home License so that is ridiculous.

Thanks for nothing Parallels and Microsoft! You put your customers in the middle of an impossible game to win with each blaming the other and neither supplying a proper resolution. The one interesting fact that Parallels did help me with was insisting that the Parallels VM version of Windows 10 be authenticated prior to the Boot Camp version (Which is impossible to do as the Boot Camp version must be installed first).

Since Parallels and Microsoft offered terrible customer service in this regard, I researched and found the following permanent solution. This solution disassociates the Product Key with the Boot Camp version of Windows 10, then validates an active Windows Product Key in Parallels VM, followed by reintroducing activation in the Boot Camp version. I wish I could have my 12 hours back...

1.) Log on to the Boot Camp version of Windows 10
    2.) Run 'Command Prompt' as Administrator (Type 'Command Prompt' in the Windows Search Box in the lower-left, then right-click and select 'Run as Administrator')
    3.) Enter the following command: 'slmgr -upk <Your Product Key>' (To be safe, I also entered the following command 'slmgr -upk')
    4.) Shut down Windows 10 via Boot Camp and reboot into Mac OS (Hold Option Key at boot to select)
    5.) Run Parallels Desktop 13 and start Windows 10
    6.) Run 'Command Prompt' as Administrator (Type 'Command Prompt' in the Windows Search Box in the lower-left, then right-click and select 'Run as Administrator')
    7.) Enter the following command: 'slmgr -upk <Your Product Key>' (To be safe, I also entered the following command 'slmgr -upk')
    8.) Reboot Windows 10 via Parallels Desktop 13
    9.) Run 'Command Prompt' as Administrator (Type 'Command Prompt' in the Windows Search Box in the lower-left, then right-click and select 'Run as Administrator')
    10.) Enter the following command: 'slui 4'
    11.) Follow the on screen directions to activate your copy of Windows 10 using Parallels VM (I dialed the supplied phone number and activated successfully)
    12.) Shut down and log on to the Boot Camp version of Windows 10 (Notice that you are now activated in both the Boot Camp and Parallels VM versions of Windows)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  6. DavidL35

DavidL35 Bit poster

I have this exact same problem and also reached a complete roadblock when I called Microsoft who told me that as far as they were concerned. Windows 10 Pro licenses could either be used via Parallels or via Boot Camp but not both at the same time and therefore there was nothing they could do further. They wouldn't comment on the fact that Parallels offer this as a key feature of their product, since it is not Microsoft.

My one issue with following the otherwise excellent solution you posted @JosephT5 is that I didn't not buy a Product Key but rather a digital license which is tied to my Microsoft account. This makes it tricky to know what to do, since I have no access to a Product Key.

So infuriating.

7. JosephT5

JosephT5 Bit poster

Dang, @DavidL35! That just shouldn't happen. Parallels passes the buck to Microsoft, knowing full well that Microsoft won't assist. A major selling point is the use of Parallels and Boot Camp. The fact that you purchased a digital license looks to break the steps I laid out (Of course, that shouldn't matter).

It would be nice to hear from Parallels on this thread.