Bootcamp virtual machine gives BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by KevinB15, Apr 5, 2018.

1. KevinB15

KevinB15 Bit poster

Bootcamp will run fine from machine, however, parallels just goes straight to a BSOD with 'RECOVERY" a required file is missing or contains errors win load.exe.

I don't have old images, and the problem is only parallels, rebooting into windows works fine. Any ideas? I've searched around, but haven't been able to find a similar problem.

2. SuperP

SuperP Bit poster

@KevinB15 did you ever get anywhere with this? I don't have the exact same issue, but I'm unable to create a VM from my bootcamp partition without it going into recovery (I believe I get a nondescript error about being unable to start). Bootcamp boots just fine directly AND with VMWare Fusion. It's only Parallels (14 in my case) that can't manage to boot the partition.

I too, have been unable to find any other information about this.

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @SuperP, please check out the instructions mentioned below:
    1. Open the virtual machine configuration and on the General tab change its type from Windows 10 to macOS.
    2. Then switch to the Hardware tab and select Mouse & Keyboard from the list.
    3. Change Mouse option to 'Optimize for Games'.
    4. Close the configuration window and start the virtual machine.
    5. If the steps above do not resolve the issue, remove the existing Boot Camp virtual machine and create a new, then repeat steps.

4. SuperP

SuperP Bit poster

Hi @PaulChris@Parallels. Your suggestion worked to get it booted, but I have some follow up questions. Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.

1) This seems like a REALLY basic failure of the software. Is your list of steps to fix in a KB somewhere? How are people expected to figure this out?
    2) By selecting the VM type to macOS, it appears that Parallels now attempts to install the Mac version of Parallels tools (and cosmetically, the dock icon for a windows install, is now an Apple). Am I supposed to manually extract the windows tools from somewhere, share that folder with the guest, and get them installed? That seems ludicrous. I can't imagine the vast majority of your users is capable, let alone willing to come to the support forums and manually intervene at so many stages just to get such a fundamental function of Parallels to work. This seems like an extremely ridiculous work-around to expect people to perform.

I have been on VMWare for the past 2 iterations of Parallels after you guys broke the full screen implementation in 12 and 13. I was excited to hear that it was finally fixed in 14. I am thoroughly surprised and disappointed that I can't even see if it was fixed, because you guys have managed to take a step back with even being able to boot the partition.