"Freezing" issue...beta6

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by monkeyknifefight, May 15, 2006.

1. monkeyknifefight

monkeyknifefight Bit poster

All in all my beta6 install is pretty darn stable, as long as I use it often. What I mean is that if I dock my XPSP2 VM for any length of time it freezes up. I can see my desktop, etc, but the mouse or keyboard does not respond and I need to do a forced quit.

My VM is a vanilla install and I am not using any odd USB devices. Also I have disable the soundcard on the VM. Lastly, I removed all screensaver and "power saver" options in my VM, so that it never "sleeps".

Is anyone else having similar issues?

BTW- I paid for my Pre-order this morning, so I love the product. I really hope this "freeze" issue is resolved soon.

2. y3k

y3k Junior Member

Yes, same here. The only difference, I can use it for about 10-15 seconds after wake-up. Then it freezes. It's reproduceable issue so it must be quite an odd software bug, no performance problem or something more serious like hardware dependance etc.

3. monkeyknifefight

monkeyknifefight Bit poster

Parallels Team want to chime in on this? Is this a known bug?

BTW, in case it helps here are my laptop specs-
    MacBook Pro 2ghz, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.4.6

4. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Yes, i have seed this, but now I don't

I also have a screen saver and power stuff turned off in VM.

things that have changed since I went to beta 6.

1. setup USB for the VM
    2. Mac Updates.

It is wierd, it was like it locked up and then I reduced it once and let Mac go thru its stuff and now all seems fine.

But have seen it

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for reporting guys! It is not exactly "known" issue but it seems to happen in Beta6. We are investigating this issue.

6. james_mac

james_mac Junior Member

i had something similar i think. i left it up on the screen but went to go look for something for a while. when i came back i could move the cursor around the screen (it was one of those text input cursors) but i couldn't click on anything. i had to force quit.

7. mpatel696

mpatel696 Bit poster

Similiar Problem

I commonly have the same problem. I leave the VM running and shut the lid on MBP. When I return after a short period of time, it ussually work with no problems. If it is an extended period of time, it invariably locks up. Outlook 2003 is the most common app running in the VM, which I assume is causing the problem. I think there was a mention of background network traffic causing problems with XP VMs.

I am running a MBP with 1.5G, 768M allocated to XP SP2. No USB or shared folders, using host-only networking (shared internet connection from OS X).

my only complaint with an otherwise great product.

8. dandiemer

dandiemer Bit poster

also happening to me on a 1.83 ghz 2gb ram MBP.
    just started to happening today. any help would be appreciated.

9. reddfoxx

reddfoxx Bit poster

I was also having this problem. However I turned off the VT-x option and have not had a lockup since.

10. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Yes, this problem is really VT-x related and seems to be fixed now.
    Fix will be available in the next public version.
    Thanks for report.

11. mpatel696

mpatel696 Bit poster

Fixed with Macbook Firmware Update?

My MBP overnight sleep last night was the first time that XP DIDN'T freeze. I had Outlook running as ussual. The only changes were two updates on the Mac OS side - Firmware and Security Update 1.0.

I don't know if the problem will show up again, but I thought it might be worth mentioning the psuedo-fix, in case it helps anyone with B6.

12. petro

petro Member

I'll chime in as well and say turning off VT-x did the trick to get WinXP to boot. Here's some notes for others on what I did and what wasn't working.

Since the upgrade to RC1, I couldn't get my previously fine, vanilla XP system to boot. I could get it to boot in safe mode. It would start to boot, the screen would go black, and the CPU of my mac would typically spike. Turning off sound, the shared folder, and various other things didn't help. I think I magically got it to boot once, but I could have been dreaming. All seemed fine in the last beta.