Slow Windows startup with Parallels 14

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by EdA4, Oct 6, 2018.

1. EdA4

EdA4 Bit poster

Since installing version 14, I note the load time for Windows 10 (Home Premium) after rebooting the Mac is about 9 minutes to a log-in screen, another 3 minutes after that before a welcome sound and another 2 minutes before the taskbar has completely settled. I have no anti-virus on the Mac or in Windows. The Mac has 16GB memory (4.096 assigned to Windows), a quad core i5 3.1 GHz processor and fusion drive. CPU stays well within 100% and overall memory pressure is less than half. Hard drive is less than half full. Is there some way to speed up the process?

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @EdA4 , please try to perform cleanboot on your Windows virtual machine and check if that helps.

3. EdA4

EdA4 Bit poster

Clean boot completed. No big difference in time. Maybe shaved a minute or two in all, mostly on the time to log-in - but still about 12 minutes overall until the taskbar has settled and I can begin opening apps. What timings should I be expecting?

4. BeeMb

BeeMb Bit poster

same issue on my machine. Very unstable performance, system hangs frequently. Can I go back to version 13 ? How ?

5. EdA4

EdA4 Bit poster

Clean boot completed. No big difference in time. So, what time is "normal"?

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @EdA4, could you please go to Help menu of Parallels Desktop application and send us the technical data report via Send Technical Data... menu item? Then, post the number here.

7. EdA4

EdA4 Bit poster

Tech data sent: 280132330

8. EdA4

EdA4 Bit poster

Have deleted and reinstalled my Windows 10 VM. Am seeing much faster boot times - Login screen in about a minute, operational desktop & taskbar after about 3 minutes.

9. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @EdA4 , if you have installed a new Windows virtual machine, it should boot faster than the time mentioned above. Please let us know how much free space you have on your mac and how much RAM you have on your mac.

10. BeeMb

BeeMb Bit poster

I reinstalled version 14 and it temporarily solves the issue. Until it reoccurs and the reinstall again. When will this issue be recognised and solved?

11. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

The same here since the update to Parallels 14 (14.0.1) - iMac, MacOS Sierra, 3.1 GHz, 16GB RAM, Fusion Drive.
    Windows 10 takes between 6 and 9 minutes to start.
    Parallels Support has tried everything - they said there seems to be a problem with the Fusion Drive, waiting for the next update.
    My only "bad" solution: I have now a Samsung SSD 500 GB increased, Windows.pvm copied to it and see there Windows starts in 22 sec and the entire Windows system environment runs so much better. But that can not be the solution and I want to control everything from the internal hard drive. But the error is definitely not on the installed Windows system.
    I've been waiting for months for a solution. Probably comes then V15 and it must be paid again without V14 ever worked properly.

12. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @ArtistW, can you please check out this article to increase the startup speed of the virtual machine?

13. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

Hello Paul Chris,
    no no, I don´t have any antivirus program running.
    Your support has already tried everything and I have already sent a variety of technical support.
    Even a remotesession has brought no solution.
    My support ticket #2536821 and #2554634

14. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello ArtistW, This issue is already escalated to Tier 2 team and our Development team is still investigating this issue internally.

15. BeeMb

BeeMb Bit poster

Can I reinstall V13 safely?

16. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @BeeMb, we released a new update Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac Update 14.1.0 (45387) and this update addressed this issue. To check for updates, click on the Parallels Desktop menu on Mac menu bar and select Check for Updates: http://kb.parallels.com/124521

17. BeeMb

BeeMb Bit poster

I am using the latest update, but the issue isn't solved in any way. My virtual machine freezes with phantom disk usage of 100%, also the Mac is becoming unresponsive. Please give us some technical details on the issue that was supposed to be solved.

18. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @BeeMb, sort the Task manager by disk usage by clicking on it and you will see what process is utilizing the disk. expand and check what exactly it is. Sometimes window might be the issue. Try doing a clean boot to check if that still shows 100%

19. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

No improvement with version 14.1.0
    Windowstart lasts 9 minutes, Windows programs are slow and Mac programs also run slower when Parallels is running.

20. BeeMb

BeeMb Bit poster

Like described earlier, the disk usage shows 100%, but no process shows high disk usage. In Mac activity monitor, my windows 10 process shows GB reads. Unable to cleanboot, a forced machine stop is the only option, followed by Disk check in Mac, and delete and reinstall parallels V14. I once again ask if it is possible to downgrade to V13, that is delete V14 and install V13 instead. Please advice.