Parallels 11 susbscription clarifications

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ggascoigne, Aug 20, 2015.

1. VahurS

VahurS Bit poster

Went with Fusion, converted all my vm-s. This was a bit of pain, but in the end, all worked out. FYI - Fusion 8 is slower than Parallels 10, both graphics and disk. I would've stayed with Parallels but current Pro subscription terms are unacceptable and permanent license is not available.

2. JonathanN3

JonathanN3 Junior Member

I'm glad this thread is still alive. Updates to PD 13 and STILL no change in Parallels forced subscription model. (Stop responding to every mention of this with "yeah you can still buy a permanent license ... we know you can buy a HOME permanent license. We are all talking about Pro functionality here. You're trying to cleverly divert the conversation, and it's demeaning.) I'm still out. VirtualBox is handily dealing with my new VMs. I may convert everything over shortly. This crap is not worth my time. For newcomers, here's the relevant bits:

1) If you update to a "permanent" license (Home and Student edition), you will be limited to 4vCPU and 8GB RAM per VM. You will also lose out on some of the more advanced networking functions and generally things that have set Parallels as a standard in the virtualization world for years.
    2) If you update to a Pro license, it is available by SUBSCRIPTION ONLY. This license will EXPIRE after you stop paying. That means you will CEASE TO BE ABLE TO USE YOUR VMs after that point in time. This is a poor business strategy, even if you intend to keep paying your subscription. It means that your licensure might stop working if there's a glitch contacting the license server that might cause problems at a production level if you're using this for critical business.
    3) Parallels at this time has NO PLANS to allow you to carry forward your old version, simply ignoring updates. It's a TERRIBLE MODEL and has alienated hundreds if not thousands of previously loyal Parallels users. Plenty of reasonable solutions have been offered here, and they don't seem interested in bridging the gap.

Have a nice life, guys. It was a fun ride while it lasted.

3. RichardA10

RichardA10 Bit poster

Also not happy with the subscription model. Didn't realise that once you stop paying a subscription you lose access to the latest version of Parallels and you effectively have to go back to the last version you paid for...assuming you bought one.
    I don't see the benefit...for me. For what I paid as a subscription I could have just updated to a perpetual license every year and then I would have the latest version. Instead I have been paying a subscription for 2 years and nothing to show for it.
    Now considering VMware just on principal because I am so annoyed I have thrown money away.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  4. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello RichardA10. The subscription model is meant to let you avoid the hassle of paying for upgrades over and over again (besides letting users access the advanced editions of Parallels Desktop). But if you are not comfortable with the pricing, feel free to go for permanent licenses.

5. RichardA10

RichardA10 Bit poster

Clearly not listening to the customers. What hassle? Software companies love this new subscription model because it stops the "I will skip an upgrade", and hence the company losing out on an upgrade payment.

6. Hemnath@Parallels

Software development comes at no small cost, which makes the subscription model a necessity for a company that otherwise profits from software sales alone.
    A Parallels Desktop subscription can be auto-renewed. Buy one license and keep it - it will renew itself automatically year after year and you can also keep availing upgrades for free (as opposed to manually placing orders periodically for upgrades and thus having to manage numerous licenses in the long run).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  7. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

These upgrade are not free. I have to pay every year 49,99 Euro. If I decide to cancel the subscription, I can't even use the last purchased version. So don't fool your customers. If you value your customers, let them decide for themselves when they want to pay for an upgrade. Currently Parallels is the only winner of the subscription model. And the removal of features within a minor update (like from 12.01 to 12.1) shows me what Parallels priorities are.

8. Hemnath@Parallels

That's the price of the license renewal (which helps compensate for the cost involved in developing upgrades) - the upgrades themselves cost nothing.
    This is because the versions availed under an annual license are tied to that license. That is how the subscription model is designed.
    It's not mandatory to use annual subscriptions - feel free to go for permanent licenses.

9. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

You are working for free and Parallels compensates you for the time being in the office. So Parallels don't have to pay for your work. I have to remember that.
    It is, if you want to use more than 4 CPU / 8 GB. You know that.

10. Hemnath@Parallels

No need to confuse the subject. What's free are the upgrades - what costs you is the license renewal. That's what a subscription model is (in any software company for that matter).
    Of course. Pro and Business editions are for power users who will need VM's bolstered with high RAM/CPU allocation. This does not apply to home users (you don't need more than 4 CPU's/8 GB RAM just to use MS Word in a Windows VM).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  11. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

The upgrades (to be exactly: one upgrade, since there is only one major upgrade per year/subscription so far) are/is covered by the license renewal fee. There are no other advantages of the license renewal fee. At the end I pay for the upgrade with the license renewal fee.
    Imagine your car dealer would say: Buy this car and get the engine for free. That's exactly your argument.
    And? This should not prevent you from offering a permanent license for the Pro version. That's the point of this discussion over five pages.

12. Hemnath@Parallels

Of course, it should. We have advanced features with the Pro and Business editions suitable for web designers and developers. Engineering those features has its costs, and so accommodating the same under permanent licenses is not feasible.
    Incorrect. PFB my earlier posts from this thread that explain the advantages of the subscription model:

13. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

I would agree, if we talk about new features unique to the Pro version. But almost all Pro features were previously part of the now Standard version. So you guys stripped these features from the Standard version and put another sticker on it. That must have been really big development costs.

Instead of the hassle of paying for upgrades over and over again I have the hassle of paying for the license renewal over and over again. So not really a benefit.

Keep it only as long as you pay for the subscription. Also not a benefit.
    I'm quite capable of placing one order per year if I think that the new features are worth it. If not (as for the last two versions) I can stick with the previous version without the hassle of paying the renewal license fees.

14. Hemnath@Parallels

Between that and handling the ever-increasing demands of software development, an advanced functionality once available with permanent licenses will not necessarily remain so indefinitely.
    Fine by us if that's your point-of-view, much as we conform to many annual subscription users who perceive as a hassle the upgrade method that you otherwise prefer.

15. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

I'm telling you a secret: There is no additional single line of code in Pro version for supporting more than 4 CPU/8 GB compared to Standard version. Instead due to the extra limitations in settings dialog and the additional check when starting the VM there are even more development costs in Standard version. I wonder how Parallels can handle these costs without a subscription model for the Standard version.
    Parallels must have been in really bad shape three years ago if supporting more than 4 CPU / 8 GB is not feasible with a permanent license after doing this for more than 10 years. I hope you are doing a little bit better now.

16. Hemnath@Parallels

We welcome all opinions (those with tall claims being no exception) in our forums.

17. RobertK24

RobertK24 Bit poster

Wow.. I had no idea, what a complete waste of money, your product was the best, sadly lame license policy ruined it for me. I will be switching to software that does not expire... Booo !!

Suggest changing that policy...

18. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You can purchase Parallels Desktop for Mac Standard one-time license and use which will not expire, but has limitations.

19. @RobertK24 , we've received your reply: "Already bought the Pro...."
    Let us know if you have any additional questions.

20. HowardS7

HowardS7 Bit poster

I agree with what many have said here. The subscription model is terrible. That line about free upgrades making this a better option is rubbish. You just want to keep charging us continually for something we already bought. You suck.