Perhaps there should be a change to the default option for smartselect?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by unused_user_name, Oct 8, 2007.

1. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Hello folks,

Some of you may remember me back in the RC days when I worked through some issues with sound and Dragon. I've been lurking since then without really posting much, but I think the time has come for me to pop up and say something.

It seems that there are numerous problems with smartselect being reported on the forums. As these issues keep popping up I have some suggestions for Parallels.

1) Parallels should release a "fix my associations" application that is distributed with Parallels that goes through all file associations and resets them back to what they were when smartselect was first installed.

2) Please set the defaults of smartselect to OFF for new (and upgrades from PD 2.x) VMs. People know about the feature, and those of us (myself included) who like to use smartselect can always turn it on. It seems that the process that is annoying to people is when smartselect takes file associations when it is not wanted. Removing this annoyance is as easy as making it OFF by default.

These are just my opinions of course. Any comments are very welcome.

2. whytyger

whytyger Member

Unused wrote:

1) Parallels should release a "fix my associations" application that is distributed with Parallels that goes through all file associations and resets them back to what they were when smartselect was first installed.

Yes, this is essential. I think it should be released immediately. I cannot run Parallels until this is done. I've already had to reset a variety of applications manually using the "touch" command in the terminal app with Finder not running (a developer procedure that's a bit tricky) to get the host side running properly even with Parallels not running.