How to prevent parallels vm from suspending when switching users in macos?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by AhmedA4, Sep 26, 2018.

1. AhmedA4

AhmedA4 Bit poster

Hi.. I hope someone could shed some light on how to prevent parallels vm from suspending when switching users in macos..
    It seems that Parallels automatically goes into "suspending" mode as soon as I switch users on MacOS which is very frustrating as my Windows 10 VM is running under one user account and occasionally a family member needs to log into another account via user switching however that suspends my VM and stops all background operations on it.

I have taken the appropriate measures to prevent this based on Apple and Parallel's usual recommendation to avoid suspending of apps but there's no specific mention on what to do when switching users. Hopefully someone can help

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello AhmedA4.
    Please shut Windows down, open the virtual machine configuration window, navigate to Options -> Optimization and disable 'Pause Windows when possible'. Close this window now and check for the issue again.

3. AhmedA4

AhmedA4 Bit poster

Sorry for the delay in responding but i have been looking for all sorts of solutions to no avail. I have done this already and it made no difference. Could you please test a solution and advise as this seems to be a pretty major limitation since my home PC is accessed by multiple users and my VM's are rendered useless when a user switches to their account. I can understand this happening if i am logged off but switching users should still allow for my processes to run in the background I would imagine.
    thanks in advance!

4. Hemnath@Parallels

We tested this scenario in our lab. Issue didn't occur on our end.
    Could you make a video of this issue and reply with the same? Additionally, the next time the issue occurs, generate a Technical Data Report (enable the option 'Attach screenshots and other files' before generating the Technical Data Report) while the issue is displayed (very important) and reply with the report ID number.

5. AhmedA4

AhmedA4 Bit poster

Hi. FYI Attached screenshots showing the settings enabled as advised. Not sure how i can capture a video of the issue. Basically with the settings advised enabled when i switch users on my Mac I am unable to access my VM via RDP or even accessing the shares on the VM, and when i switch back to the user account that is running parallels and go to the VM i see it in SUSPENDED mode. So it appears as though switching users on the Mac triggers the suspension of my Parallels VM on the primary account.

Hope this makes sense.

Attached Files:

6. Hemnath@Parallels

Thanks for the data. Also, kindly reproduce the issue, generate a Technical Data Report (enable the option 'Attach screenshots and other files' before generating the Technical Data Report) while the issue is displayed (very important) and reply with the report ID number.