Using Parallels to run El Capitan and 32 bit apps?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by P.R, Nov 18, 2018.

1. P.R

P.R Junior Member

Hello all -
    I am brand new to Parallels having used BootCamp for my Windows 7 Home Premium on my 2011 Mac mini until now. I have just purchased a new Mac mini (2018) which came with Mojave installed, so I have the 32 bit software issue. I have been able to set up Parallels with a VM for my Windows 7, but how do I set up a VM for my El Capitan including the 32 bit apps that will not run in Mojave?

I tried Files->New->Mac OS, to create an El Capitan VM, but every time I get to the step to log into the App Store, when I enter my Apple ID and Password, I get an error message. I can go separately to the App Store directly and log into my account with my Apple ID and Password so i know I have the correct information. Of course Apple Support can not help with this error using Parallels.

Once I get a VM file with OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan), how do I get the 32 bit Mac apps into the VM? Is there a way to accomplish using Parallels to run my old 32 bit apps in Mojave via Parallels? Sorry for the simple question. Thanks in advance. Randy

2. P.R

P.R Junior Member

3. Hello P.R. Nice to know that you were able to sort out the issue and thanks for sharing the link which has the steps to resolve it. Please post again for additional queries.

4. P.R

P.R Junior Member

Update to El Capitan VM in Mojave -

I have now been running my newly created El Capitan VM for several days on my brand spanking new Mac mini with Mojave. This has proved to be a sterling solution for 2 major issues upgrading from my 2011 Mac mini, which had been running El Capitan.

(1) I can no longer use BootCamp to run my Windows 7 Home Premium because it's 32 bit. I have several Windows apps for programming 2-way radios and scanners, including both Tait and ICOM 2-way. (I'm FCC licensed in the General Mobile Radio Service [GMRS]). The Tait and ICOM programs are also 32 bit and were the reason for me getting Windows in the first place. Parallels has proven to be an ideal solution for maintaining my Windows capabilities with my older Windows software in the brave new Mojave world.

(2) My favorite Mac software in the last 27 years is DIskWarrior and iPartition. iPartition is absolutely NOT compatible with Mojave (APFS?), and it remains to be seen if that will ever take place. But it's still ideal for working with volumes on HFS+ drives. I've now downloaded the latest version of IPartition and run it on several occasions in the El Capitan VM on 2 different external hard drives with flawless results. I'm DELIGHtED to report it works perfectly creating, deleting and resizing (both shrinking and expanding)!

Thank you Parallels! - Randy