Performance problems in Windows 10 after upgrade to v14

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DellW, Aug 27, 2018.

1. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

I'm having the issue on my MacBook Pro - which is not a fusion drive.

2. MarcG3

MarcG3 Bit poster

What an utter huge pile of poo, I've had nothing but trouble since giving this company my money, wish I had gone elsewhere.

3. ToddG3

ToddG3 Bit poster

After receiving several emails warning me about MacOS Mojave support and highly recommending me to upgrade to v14 from v12, I finally took the leap. What a mistake that was. Now my Windows 10 virtual machine runs so slow its practically useless. Does anyone know if I can go back to version 12 and still read my virtual machine. I don't know what else to do until they get this mess fixed. Based on the lack of responses to this thread, I don't think that is going to happen any time soon. :mad:

4. TorstenG1

TorstenG1 Bit poster

Hi, I have also a problem with my guest OS Windows 10 by using Parallels 14 for mac. I often have delays if i start simple applications or simply want to open the windows start menu. Also i have often a delay until typed letters appear on the monitor. I also have the issue, that applications (like word, excel...) will freeze often for a few seconds with the comment "no response". I got the recommendation to reinstall the Parallels tools. But that only helps for the moment.

5. ToddG3

ToddG3 Bit poster

So I submitted a support ticket and received this very informative link [sarcasm]: https://kb.parallels.com/112091
    I have directed support to this thread so that they have a better understanding of the extent of this issue.

6. DanielL1

DanielL1 Bit poster

Having upgraded every year since about 2012, I'd settled on Parallels v12 as I used it less in my day to day work, although I recently succumbed to the nag emails and upgraded to 14. I realised pretty quickly that something was not right as I was getting major slow downs on my mac whenever I started my Windows VM. Also, trying to run anything in the VM was nigh on impossible (visual studio, node etc) which I never had a problem with on v12.

A quick Google search for Parallels 14 performance issues brought me to this thread and it seems many others are having the same or similar experience. I've downgraded back to v12 and it seems to be working fine again now. As it stands, I seem have spent good money on a worthless upgrade. It would be good to get some resolution on this please Parallels and I will be submitting a proper support ticket when I get a moment.

EugeneZ1 likes this.
  7. XPeng

XPeng Bit poster

same issue in 14.0.1 with default option, Windows 10 64bit professional(all upgraded), MBP Mid 2014 with macOS mojave.
    now since i must use Visual Studio Code and Chrome browser on windows all the time, i use an ugly operation to struggle with this. when i meet this i use Actions->Suspend and then Start again. then i find another and faster method that is switching Actions->Travel Mode.
    btw, in this situation, Visual Studio Code and Chrome browser who use many processes shows very clear problem, however Visual Stuido IDE(editor use few sub processes) seems better by comparison.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  8. luckman212

luckman212 Bit poster

They released 14.1.0.45382 today. Gonna give it a try, suggest everyone else do the same & report back. Hope this is fixed!!

9. NickH1

NickH1 Bit poster

My parallels 14 is crashed this morning. Does not work anymore. Macbook is crashing to when i am starting parallels 14.(mac OS mojave) Even reseting my macbook doesnt work. I hope that not al my files in windows are lost.

10. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

That's interesting. 'Check for updates' says I have the latest version, but going to the manual download site shows this newer version. Duh!...
    Will see what it does.

11. NickH1

NickH1 Bit poster

i downloaded the latest version from the parallels site but windows is still crashing. Now i have send a technical report(284355480) to parallels.

12. JamesL23

JamesL23 Bit poster

I am sorry to have to write this post. I have been a LOYAL Parallels user for five years. I have suffered through the same catastrophic problem after "upgrading" to Mohave and Parallels 14:
    • Simple things within Word or ANYTHING ELSE freezes up the system for 30 seconds or so. Worst under Coherence. If you click it again the program paints the background of the window and the dreaded "not responding" message appears.
    • Since I use my computer 8 hours a day...I was losing 50% of my time to the blue circular spinner
    • Tried all the reasonable actions short of downgrading to High Sierra:
    1. Downgraded to Parallels 13: no improvement.
    2. Turned off all potentially offending services: no improvement
    3. Turned off my anti-virus
    4. Switched to just a few processors: no improvement
    5. Turned off Direct X acceleration: no improvement.
    6. Etc. Etc.
    Only solution to save my job: VMWare Fusion can read Parallels VM files (*.pvm). I tried the 30 day free trial. (Make sure to give VMFusion access via the General Tab under Privacy and Security). My 477G VM took 1.5 hours to reformat into a VMFusion VM...but PRESTO! everything is snappy again. I STILL LIKE PARALLELS BETTER...BUT THIS WAS LIFE OR DEATH. If Parallels can't get its act together in 30 days...the switch will need to be permanent. I regretfully URGE all other readers do the same...​

Jamie Janssen, Nanook and SeanC7 like this.
  13. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

I'll give a 'caveat' to this.
    I switched to Parallels, because of the issues I was having with VMWare... :(
    I'm afraid both at times with particular operating systems & programs both have issues.
    I must admit the sloth at Parallels in dealing with this current swathe of issues, is getting annoying.

14. SeanC7

SeanC7 Bit poster

Just upgraded to Mojave 10.14. Then upgraded to Parallels 14. This has made office 365 run extremely slow. I am beginning to get quite disillusioned with Parallels.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  15. J4B7

J4B7 Bit poster

It seems I have same problem. Have you tried to run your programs while being disconnected from wifi ? In my opinion, it runs much better then.
    The slow-down of the machine could be due to a lot of information being sent through the network from the computer which is a bit scary.

16. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

My only "bad" solution: I have now a Samsung SSD 500 GB increased, Windows.pvm copied to it and see there Windows starts in 22 sec and the entire Windows system environment runs so much better. But that can not be the solution and I want to control everything from the internal hard drive. But the error is definitely not on the installed Windows system.
    I've been waiting for months for a solution. Probably comes then V15 and it must be paid again without V14 ever worked properly.

17. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

Hello J4B7, no wifi only ethernet on my mac.

18. J4B7

J4B7 Bit poster

Wifi or ethernet... I have the same problem... the fan is accelerating showing data transfer out, and the monitoring indicates data flying towards PARALLELS...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  19. CesarPedro

CesarPedro Bit poster

I am downgraded my Parallels 14 to Parallels 13. I hope that issues be solved as soon as possible. We are payed for a better Parallels and to use it, not only for frustrating experiences.

20. J4B7

J4B7 Bit poster

It seems the problem has disappeared now, and for you ?