Ubuntu 18.10 support in Parallels 14

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by bradyrtech, Nov 21, 2018.

1. bradyrtech

bradyrtech Bit poster

Greetings, Version 14.1.0 (45387) for Parallels was just released and still doesn't include support for Ubuntu 18.10.

I'd like to request that the next maintenance update to Parallels 14 provides official support for ubuntu 18.10 so that Linux enthusiasts and developers don't have to migrate to competitor software (i.e. vmware fusion 11.0.1 or virtualbox).

at the very least, if support for 18.10 is in the current roadmap, let parallels community have an ETA on when it will be supported.

thank you!

-ryan

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi Ryan,

We have fixed issues with Ubuntu 18.10 setup in the 14.1.0 release. And we also tested other scenarios, so you can now use Ubuntu 18.10.
    However we see an issue with Coherence view mode not working. Let me know if it is a critical one for you.

3. bradyrtech

bradyrtech Bit poster

Good morning, alev -- thanks for the update.

just yesterday I upgraded my 18.04 parallels vm to 18.10 (booted off 18.10 live cd, wiped out all existing partitions on the virtual hard drive, then did a fresh install) and it seems to be working good on parallels 14.1.0.

I don't use Coherence mode so that is not an issue for me. the only issue I've noticed is that the VM hangs during a restart (even after reinstalling the parallels tools). This could be normal behavior, or it could be due to the fact that i upgraded my VM from 18.04 to 18.10 instead of destroying the entire parallels VM and starting over from scratch. The solution for the hang during restart is to force parallels to shut down the VM and then power it back on.

If you guys suggest completely destroying the ubuntu vm and doing a fresh install on a fresh VM, I can do that, too.

thanks again,
    -ryan

4. alev

alev Parallels Team

I checked both new Ubuntu 18.10 VM and the one upgraded from 18.04, no issues with reboot.
    If you can reproduce it, then when the issue occurs, go to Help>Send Technical Data and post Report ID here. We will investigate.

5. BillF3

BillF3 Bit poster

Sorry, but the upgrade from Ubuntu 18.04 to 18.10 doesn't work for me. I've submitted Technical Data Report ID 286865381. Everything seems to work fine but the VM hangs restarting or rebooting following the upgrade.

6. bradyrtech

bradyrtech Bit poster

I didnt try 18.04 to 18.10 upgrade -- figured that would be a recipe for failure. I was too lazy to rebuild the VM itself, so I just booted off the 18.10 iso and wiped the virtual hard drive with gparted (within the live cd environment) and then did a "fresh" install of 18.10.

that worked, then i was able to "re-install" the parallels tools on the VM on the fresh 18.10 guest and it magically worked.

7. BillF3

BillF3 Bit poster

I'm sure a fresh install would work better, but the upgrades preserve all the customizations I've done and that's how I normally migrate from one Ubuntu release to the next. In my experience Parallels eventually supports this path but often with significant delays. It would be nice if Linux were more of a first class citizen as far as Parallels support goes. It's one of the main reasons I use it.

8. H.D

H.D Bit poster

I had the same problem and it was caused by the new parallels tools installation on 18.04 before upgrading Ubuntu. It's not necessary to do a fresh install of 18.10. Just delay the tools installation and do first the update to Ubuntu 18.10. Afterwards the tools install successfully and there where no more problems.

9. BillF3

BillF3 Bit poster

I'm not sure what you're referring to. My copy of Parallels and the VMs running under it are always at current service. When trying to upgrade my Ubuntu 18.04 VM to 18.10 I never get the opportunity to try to re-install Parallels tools since the VM hangs as part of the upgrade reboot.

10. RaviC2

RaviC2 Bit poster

Hi Team,

I would like to request the coherence mode while running Ubuntu 20LTS. its kind of critical feature while working on dozen different applications both on mac & ubuntu.

11. mmilgrom

mmilgrom Bit poster

I also want this feature. Add a comment to this thread requesting it: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/keep-coherence-for-linux.348413/