Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by roberleitner, Oct 4, 2018.

1. roberleitner

roberleitner Bit poster

What is the status of Parallels compatibility with the Windows 10 October 2018 Update released on Oct 2?
    The update failed with a blue screen for me. Fortunately Windows was able to successfully rollback and now the update shows in Windows Update again.
    Parallels 14.0.1 Pro Edition on Mojave 10.14, 2018 MacBook Pro. It is a Boot Camp installation but Windows was running as the guest at time of the update.

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @roberleitner , did you try updating native bootcamp or Windows virtual machine?

3. roberleitner

roberleitner Bit poster

Windows was running as a virtual machine at time of the update.
    I'd like to know for sure that it is officially supported before I'd try installing the update in native bootcamp.

4. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

I'm also having an issue. Every time I try and install 1809 it appears to work but then it reboots the VM and does a Rollback..

5. roberleitner

roberleitner Bit poster

I was hoping for a response from support by now. Is this a known issue / related to bootcamp images?

6. QuangT

QuangT Junior Member

I am having the same issue.
    Any word from Parallels support?

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @QuangT, can you please reproduce the issue and reply us with a Technical Data ID collected from the terminal command: prlsrvctl problem-report --send

8. QuangT

QuangT Junior Member

Thanks Chris, I have already reported, and am waiting for a resolution from you guys.
    It is strange that my Windows 10 VM refuses to see the Windows 10 Oct update (I clicked Settiings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Check Update several times).

Apply the latest Windows Update by downloading the latest ISO would not work either, it rolls back after 2/3 way through.

BTW, I have also run the Troubleshooting on the Windows Update many times and Windows 10 sees no issue.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  9. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi QuangT, you have to share the technical report here. Try to run Windows updates after doing a Clean boot. If you have any antivirus running in Windows try to disable it.

10. QuangT

QuangT Junior Member

Never mind, I signed up for Windows Insider Preview and now I got latest build 18282 !!!!

11. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

1809, was an update that MS launched a while ago (early October), then withdrew, because it caused so many crashes (on physical machines, not VM's).
    It was withdrawn a short while after release, so A lot of people never got it.
    Then they 'cautiously' relaunched it, for a few hours about a week later, and withdrew it again. It had some major install bugs. The actual update could result in files being deleted incorrectly on the machine doing the upgrade. Ugh....
    It was then relaunched on November 13th and is still giving a few issues, though the install ones and 95%+ of others seem to have been fixed. MS specifically say (as they often do with such updates), that users should wait for their machine to do this update automatically, not download it for themselves. The reason for this is that the update program is actually testing for hardware combinations that have known issues and waiting for fixes for these, before trying to load this. The insider build 18282, was launched the day after this.
    Remember that insider builds _will_ have issues. The Insider Preview users are Beta testers.

12. QuangT

QuangT Junior Member

I know all those, and I am a Windows insider.
    I am curious why my VM is not updated to October Update because it does not all the things that stop it from doing so - Parallels tools do not provide some strange drivers (I hope).

13. QuangT

QuangT Junior Member

This issue is fixed.
    During the windows update install, it rolls back with the following error message:

"The Installation failed in the Safe_OS phase with an error during apply_image operation: Error: 0x800f081f - 0x20003".

It turns out the the Windows Optional Developer Package is the culprit, uninstalling it resolves the issue. Who would have thought in the first place that the Microsoft own package prevents the update?