McAfee Drive Encryption error while attempting to migrate a VirtualBox VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by stephanu, Dec 11, 2018.

1. stephanu

stephanu Bit poster

Wondering if anyone has run into something similar.
    Parallels Desktop 14 running on Mac OS 10.13.6.
    VirtualBox 5.2.22 running Windows 10 Pro.
    Oh, and here's the wrinkle: I had to build the VM using my company's image, which means it includes McAfee Drive Encryption. Don't even get me started on how silly this is to use drive encryption on a VM running on a laptop which itself has drive encryption.

I've tried a couple times to transfer it through a couple different mechanisms.
    I've tried this way https://www.parallels.com/blogs/convert-virtualbox-to-parallels-desktop/ and when Parallels tries to launch it, it gives an unable to read hard drive error.
    I tried using the Transporter Agent and migrating via external storage (really, just a folder from my Mac shared to the VM) and when I import the VM that way, when it attempts to start, it complains about EEPC being corrupted.
    Both of those make me think Parallels is having trouble with the drive encryption. Is there a way around that?

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

3. stephanu

stephanu Bit poster

Hi Arun, and thank you. I've tried that method now with no luck. It gives me the same error as when I tried to open the original vbox image through parallels (which, now, I have the specific text: "McAfee Drive Encryption Fatal Error: [0xEE020006] Getting disk info"

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

5. stephanu

stephanu Bit poster

Hi Arun,
    I'm honestly not certain what in there you wanted me to try. There are several linked McAfee notes but they seem to focuse on a bios setting for Dell laptops, which doesn't quite apply... and honestly I can't get to any simulated bios in my VM.
    I've also tried the network option of the transporter agent without any luck. I've tried both the passcode and IP options, I've tried pretty much every network setting for my VM with no luck. Is the network option supported for transferring a VM?
    Thanks,
    stephan