Multiple Repeat Crashes.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by enhanced, Oct 2, 2007.

1. enhanced

enhanced Member

Oh, okay. Time to sit down and get some work done. I have some clients I need to impress with the excellent reports I can generate.

Not a problem! I'll fire up parallels and start the reports. Click, Click, Click.. This is so great!

Okay, there we go. The report is running.. it should be done in 30 - 40 minutes. Since I have multiple monitors, I'll drag this Parallels window off to the side and keep working on other things. Man, I can be SO productive with this tool. I love how much it helps me get things done!!

Click, Click, Click... I love working on other things while my report runs.

- 20 Minutes later -

what the? Where did the parallels window go? I swear it was just there!

Weird, nothing's popped up.. I wonder if I minimized or something.

*looking around.. Looking in Console.app* Parallels Crashed.

Strange..

I need these reports.. Maybe I can tweak some settings and it will work better.

There, I've turned off DirectX support and Application Sharing. Maybe that will help.

- 20 Minutes later -

WTF? Where did it go again? It was JUST working.

I've installed some programs, maybe I need to take them out. Weird that Parallels crashes instead of the report program.

I need these reports. I'll fire it up and uninstall some stuff. It's already pretty bare, so this doesn't make much sense.

You know.. these reports ran fine before the 5160 update. Weird.

There we go, back to a almost clean install.

- 20 Minutes later -

NO!! GONE AGAIN!? WHY? WHY WHY WHY???

F*CK!!!!!!!! I NEED THESE REPORTS!! CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP!

MY CLIENTS WILL HATE ME!
    IM GOING TO LOSE THEIR BUSINESS!
    IM GOING TO HAVE TO SELL MY HOUSE AND BEG ON THE STREETS FOR MONEY!!

DAMN YOU PARALLELS!!! DAMN YOU TO HADES!!

-------

So.. I've had an interesting morning. How about everyone else?

2. enhanced

enhanced Member

3. enhanced

enhanced Member

Since my report generates quite a bit of network connections, I thought that the network settings might make a difference. I changed from bridged networking to shared networking and I'm still having the same issue.

Can I un-apply the 5160 update somehow?

Thanks,
    Nick

4. enhanced

enhanced Member

Well I've tried reverting to an old snapshot and it still gives the same problem. It seems like it's definitely related to script-based IE internet access (visual basic or others using IE in remote calls on a windows XP VM).

When Parallels crashes, it does so without any dialog box (My crash reporter prefs are set to 'Developer') and simply disappears.

Is there something I'd need to clean up on my Parallels install, or is there a good way to be sure all the required files have the correct checksums? (I've had to hard reset my machine at least once because of parallels, and I've had to force quit it more than once).

Any information or relevant KB articles would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Nick

5. enhanced

enhanced Member

I've just let the VM run over night without a single problem. Is there a log file or some other piece of info that would help the tech team debug this?

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I have seen this, but I think it is upon optimizing things for guest OS it seems to go away... I'm not quite sure if it is gone for good, or what, nor I have I done a methodical line of deduction for type of usage etc. Just one thing that helped it.

I was not able to see any logs either.

7. enhanced

enhanced Member

Damn.. I was hoping that would help. I've configured the VM for optimal performance and it's still disappearing (only during the report process.. a bug that's repeatable).

It's not a question of resources either:

Mac Pro 4x2.66
    6GB RAM
    1.25TB HDD
    3 monitors.

Now to get past 2 displays, I had to install another vid card. This card can drive 2 more monitors, but I only have one hooked into it. This monitor is usually the one I run the VM on, but it's crashed for me in both full screen and windowed mode.

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you figured out what triggers it? Any sequence of events I can try and reproduce?

9. marco114

marco114 Bit poster

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

No doubt of it, we had the same issues before I set things to be optimized for the guest OS...

What I was wondering, was if you had isolated what causes the crash.

11. enhanced

enhanced Member

Yes.. It occurs while I'm loading 7-10 simultaneous websites in IE (called via a script, but it's in VB (I think) and uses the COM object to get IE to load the pages).

Actually, since I'm concerned about this, I'm going to write a quick script that will crash it for us.

Give me a few minutes.. i'll have something posted soon that should crash 5160 reliably.

12. enhanced

enhanced Member

Interesting.. I've just written an app that will load 25 instances of IE and load 2 urls in each all at the same time. I can run the app without a problem.

So scratch IE as being the issue.. what on earth could be causing this?

IF anyone would like to mess with this code, you'll need to install AutoItv3 and I recommend SCIte as the text editor to play with the code below:

http://office.reenhanced.com/parallels/parallels-quick-crasher.au3

13. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

I feel your enhanced pain ;-)

The issue is @#%#$% Smart Select and previous build files associations. see my note here http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=83978&postcount=8.

In short I had to downgrade, turn off all the smart and sharing, clear associations and later and tried 5160 again and I dont have the crashing. but I have had to turn off all in fear of the Smart Select taking hold again.

Hope this helps

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  14. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

enhanced,
    Can you verify BenInBlack's Diagnosis?

15. soopahfly

soopahfly Bit poster

16. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Hi Soop,
    Read your article and I dont use Bitdefender, I use AVG antivirus under windows.

But, Im not sure if the Smart Select is all total the problem, though i cant confirm that it is actually not running in parallels with it turned off.

So, with all the setting for shared and smart select off. I just had a crash, first time since i went back to 5160, this time, I was able to get a crash report and i sent it in to Parallels.

I have noticed slow down again, I about to go back to 4560, and stay there till Parallels fixes this.

17. enhanced

enhanced Member

Okay, I've got SmartSelect and Shared Applications disabled.
    *(I've found that in order for the changes to stick, I need to change the settings, then quit and restart parallels. After a crash, any changes are not saved.)

Testing now... and it still crashes.

I have a feeling that playing with the app I wrote above will indeed produce a crash result, but I don't feel comfortable turning up the connections it will likely require.

Feel free to modify the code... change the URLs to servers you don't mind being hit hard, amp up the number of connections and I think it will cause the crash I'm seeing.

18. enhanced

enhanced Member

Also, I would like to confirm that this is likely to be the same issue posted by soopahfly.

19. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

enhanced,
    If you disable your Anti-virus does it crash?

20. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Did you run the utility, that brkirch provided in http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=83394&postcount=3. ?

I had to uninstall 5160, then run brkirch utility and then install 4560 and set all of the stuff off in 4560 then upgrade to 5160 before the crashing really subsided