Ever notice it's always "reinstall Parallels Tools"?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DavidA4, Dec 17, 2018.

1. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

I've spent the last 24 hours trying to fix a horrible problem with Parallels. I as read one troubleshooting article after another I noticed that for every little thing there's always a dash of "reinstall Parallels Tools". Uh, yeah. Sure. 65 five times later - I still have the original problem. Seems easier to just use a real Windows machine.

2. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

This is pretty much always the first thing to try.
    The tools are the core component that allow Windows to connect to the Parallels features like cut & past etc., and are such a key component, that re-installing these will always be recommended by Parallels as the first thing to try. The best way to do this is to _uninstall_ and reinstall, not just reinstall over the top of the existing install. This way all the settings should be correctly made. If you have not done the uninstall it does not guarantee to get the tools to a 'clean' state.
    Most packages will have a 'basic' operation like this that should always be done before trying anything else. For Parallels, this is so fundamental to it's operation, that it'll always be recommended!...

I'm guessing from you other posts that this is an issue with Altium?.
    Altium itself does have a lot of settings that affect the mouse behaviour.
    If this is the 'one click =' behaviour you have posted about, does it do this inside menus, as well as in the main window itself?.
    Another thing that should always be tried is in the settings for Parallels, under 'mouse & keyboard', turn off the option 'optimize for games'. This causes issues with quite a few packages, so is worth trying.

3. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @DavidA4 , please let us know the issue you are experiencing, so that we will check and help you out.