Prevent MP4 from opening in VM

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JamieS73, Dec 26, 2018.

1. JamieS73

JamieS73 Junior Member

My default app setting in macOS for MP4 files is QuickTime, yet when I double-click an MP4 file, Photos in Win10 opens. How do I prevent Photos from hijacking the default setting even when QuickTime is set as default?

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @JamieS73 , please re check the default program on your mac and check if it is set to Quicktime (mac) , if the issue still persists, please try to uninstall and reinstall Parallels Desktop for mac.

3. JamieS73

JamieS73 Junior Member

I checked the default setting in the right-click menu, and it was still set to use Quicktime. The file still opened in the VM. I reinstalled Parallels, no change. I checked the "Open with:" field in Get Info which also was set to Quicktime. I clicked "Change All..." and apparently settings were updated because now it works correctly.

4. Nice to know that it works as expected now. Please post again for additional queries.

5. ColeD1

ColeD1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I'm having this same issue. Everything was fine until i opened some files off a microsd card in windows while I was in bootcamp. When I came back to my mac side I tried opening up some other videos and now every time I try to open a video file it launches parallels and opens in the windows photos app. Also all of my video files have the parallels icon next to their name. I have tried setting my default to preview but it does not work. What can I do to fix this? Thank you

6. Hello, did you try the solution provided by @JamieS73 above?

7. KirkH

KirkH Bit poster

This worked: I checked the "Open with:" field in Get Info which also was set to Quicktime. I clicked "Change All..."
    However, I have been plagued and ANNOYED by this behavior by Parallels - to take over my file opening preferences without my permission. I've NEVER told Parallels to wake up, start Windows, and use the awful Windows Media Player when I click on an MP4 file on my Mac. Wasted SOOOO much time waiting for Windows to boot each time I forgot about this bad (and unwanted) file association that I didn't ask for.
    Parallels, dev team, you might look to this. "Default behavior" can be a terrible tyranny.

8. EwaldV1

EwaldV1 Bit poster

I was also annoyed by this, what did the trick for me was disabling "Share Windows applications with Mac"

Attached Files:

9. ColeD1

ColeD1 Bit poster

Where did you find this option in the preferences?

10. EwaldV1

EwaldV1 Bit poster

Yeah in the Control Center, click the gear icon, then the "Options" tabs, and click "Applications"

Attached Files:

11. DianaM2

DianaM2 Bit poster

maddening, cannot find this! drives me nuts.

12. DallasE

DallasE Bit poster

Right-click on Windows icon in the Dock[​IMG].
    Screen Shot 1.jpg
    Select "Control Center" from top of pop-up menu.

Click on "Gear" icon.
    Screen Shot 2.jpg
    Select "Options" at the top and then "Applications".
    Screen Shot 3.jpg