What update now?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by LawrenceHare, Oct 10, 2007.

1. LawrenceHare

LawrenceHare Bit poster

I typically have XP under Parallels running all the time on my MBP when at the office, it works fine and other than trying to get more disk space - the subject of another post - it all works flawlessly. Today I read the forums just to see how the world turns and I see posts on builds like 5160 and some grand great numbers way beyond mine! I am running build 3188 and last I updated was March I think. I ran the update checker and it tells me I should go get build 3214 - a far cry from what it seems y'all out there are running.

What should I do? I like a stable system and this is sure stable - apart from the fact I cannot seem to increase my disk space. Is there a formal upgrade I need to purchase? How come my numbers are so low?

Thanks - Lawrence

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

You are running Parallels V. 2.5, you would need to upgrade to Parallels V. 3.0 to get the builds we are getting.

Some people are staying in the last 4000 series build (4868? I forget the number off the top of my head) due to a feature that many find is a bug, called SmartSelect. I have found that 5160 is working like a charm for me.

3. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

Release 5158 works best for me. I tried 5160 but Coherence constantly locks and I have to switch to Single Window and back to Coherence to clear the issue. I know this bug is something they are working on in the next release.

4. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

where can i get 5158

5. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

I still use 3214. No problems whatsoever. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

From what I read here, V3.0 in all its builds is seriously broke. Plus you have to buy it. So why bother?

Stick with 3214.

6. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

I'm not sure where it might be here at Parallels.com. Personally I kept a download history of all images back to 3124. I can put it online for all to download but I'm not sure if I'm breaking any rules/regulations with Parallels if I do it. Maybe someone can let me know if it's Ok or if it's available on this site for download instead of me going to extra effort. I tried VersionTracker but the download link for 5158 is broken.

7. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

8. David5000

David5000 Pro

I am also using 2.5 (although build 3214) for my business with no problems and have no intentions of upgrading until I have some problem that a later version solves, or a later version has a feature I can't live without and those running it overwhelmingly say they are having few serious problems. So far that has not happened.

If you do decide to go beyond 2.5, be sure to back up your current VM first, as of course you should be doing anyway. Apparently version 3 changes the VM so it can't be used with earlier versions, so if you wanted to go back to 2.5 you would have to reinstall your VM from scratch.

David