Preparing El Capitan to run in Parallels

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by John Kiska, Dec 28, 2018.

1. John Kiska

John Kiska Bit poster

I currently have a 2010 iMac running the latest version of El Capitan. I'm thinking of buying a new 2018 Mac Mini and I would like to use Parallels 14 to run my current El Capitan system as a guest. My question is how do I prepare my current system to be used as a guest operating system in Parallels? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

2. ColinL3

ColinL3 Bit poster

You will need the OS install DVD or disk image
    Install parallels - when prompted by installation assistant to install windows - decline it.
    select the Install Windows or another OS from DVD or image file.
    Follow prompts till the guest OS is installed
    Fire up guest OS then use Applications/utilities/Migration Assistant to move your all your current 2010 imac content & apps to the new Guest computer.

Good luck

3. John Kiska

John Kiska Bit poster

ColinL3: Thanks for the feedback. Can I use an app like SuperDuper! to make an image file of my current iMac, and then use that file when I select "Install Windows or another OS from DVD or image file" as you suggested?

4. ColinL3

ColinL3 Bit poster

I'm not familiar w/ Superduper and I don't think that would work. The first install of the Guest OS (el Cap) has to be a generic version of the OS.
    Installation CDs that came with specific apple hardware will not work (these installs look for specific hardware combos - e.g. imac installation discs will not install on a macbook).
    If you are going to use a usb drive to it has to be a reformatted first to a bootable format. http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/30/create-os-x-el-capitan-boot-install-drive/