Mouse click refusing to "unclick".

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DavidT18, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    It seems that we've found the pattern that triggers the bug.
    Could you please try to scroll the middle mouse button a bit when mouse is stucked and check whether scrolling unstucks the button

ParallelsU220 likes this.
  2. MarkL21

MarkL21 Bit poster

If that was directed to me, my mouse (an Apple Bluetooth Magic Mouse) doesn't HAVE a middle button, and if it did I wouldn't be able to use it inside the VM since AFAICT all Bluetooth mice present as generic two-button mice inside the guest. I also have an ancient USB Mighty Mouse which in theory can be configured as a three-button mouse, but of course (like probably everyone else's) the 'middle' button clogged up with crud and died years ago (and it's glued shut, thanks Jony).

Is there something I can test with just two buttons?

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Likely your mouse have scrolling ability anyway. Please try to do some scrolling. For example on touchpad scrolling is made with two finger move.

4. MarkL21

MarkL21 Bit poster

LOL! I (unwittingly) discovered and reported this workaround myself early last week after accidentally backing into it.

I'd first found that posting a mouseUp event would allow exit from the stuck mouse loop after a ten to fifteen second delay.

Then later on when testing THAT workaround I accidentally found that a swipe gesture let me out of that ten-second delay. I didn't have occasion to do much more testing after that though, because soon afterward all the weird guest hyper-speed scrolling and associated display glitches magically vanished (and along with them 95% of the sticky mouse issue, which suddenly became quite difficult to reproduce on purpose) until the demo expired a couple of days later. All of that ugly stuff returned with a vengeance Friday after I entered my new license key into the demo to register, but then largely vanished again the next morning.

Unfortunately it didn't occur to me during those brief windows when I could easily reproduce the bug and test the mouse event workaround to also test whether a swipe might be sufficient all by itself without a preceding mouseUp. Instead I (incorrectly) assumed that if this were so I or someone else would long since have stumbled onto it. Go figure.

Your latest discovery makes bypassing this otherwise show-stopping bug even easier! Thanks for looking into the issue.

Now if we can just get it (and the apparently associated underlying intermittent scrolling/display glitches) actually fixed... ;-)

<<crosses fingers>>

5. JimJ3

JimJ3 Bit poster

Thanks MarkL21 for your posts here. I've had some really embarrassing demos where this bug struck multiple times. It's great to have a workaround.
    But I'm still looking for a real fix from Parallels. I've seen several updates where this is not addressed, and it's really causing us problems every single day.
    Parallels developers PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix this bug! This is a great product but the mouse issue is killing us.

6. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

Here's another COMPLAINT. Have the same two issues: 1) Sticky mouse, and 2) Super-speed scrolling.
    • Parallels Desktop for Mac v 14.1.0
    • macOS X Sierra and Mojave guests.
    • macOS X High Sierra host.
    • iMac 27 Late 2014.
    I am trying to use the Sierra Guest VM in order to run a few legacy apps, but these two issues are making it highly unproductive when clients are footing the bill for the excess time involved to work around these problems. I can sometimes get the mouse to unclick by using the escape key, but not always. I will try the latest suggestion to scroll, but that still is not an acceptable solution!

THIS REALLY NEEDS TO BE FIXED!

7. Hi,
    We need to clarify an important point regarding the virtual machine's configuration.
    Please go to configuration http://kb.parallels.com/en/117287 > Hardware > Mouse & Keyboard > Advanced settings > disable Smooth scrolling option.
    Let us know if it makes the scrolling better.

8. ParallelsU220

ParallelsU220 Bit poster

I can confirm that having just hit this issue today with Parallels Version 14.1.0 (45387), OSX 10.6.8 and Filemaker 11 Pro Advanced,
    working the mouse scroll (Magic Mouse 2) does release the click, but does also make for nuisance value.
    Still not fixed as far as I can tell

9. @ParallelsU220 thanks for sharing this. Could you please provide us with the more detailed description? Is the scrolling is too fast for example? And what about the previous instructions "disable Smooth scrolling option." Does it change something?

10. Guys, Parallels Desktop 14 update has been released. Please update your Parallels Desktop to the latest build (14.1.1-45476) and check the issue.
    You can download the update manually here.
    Let us know the results.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2019
  11. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

That setting does not exist. Not sure what version and configuration you're looking at (is that a Windoze thing??).

I just installed the new update (14.1.1) and it seems to scroll better and the mouse isn't sticking initially nor not clicking on first-clicks, but I will have to try for a bit longer than 5 minutes to see if the problems are resolved. Appreciate the update.

JimJ3 likes this.
  12. RobertsonW

RobertsonW Bit poster

I was too facing a similar issue. I just uninstallled parallels,reinstalled MyKFCExperience it and it worked out.Still if problem persists, you can take a snap of it and can post it here.WIill be grateful to help.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  13. ParallelsU220

ParallelsU220 Bit poster

Following your message I "checked for updates" again, with no updates available, so have manually updated following the link provided. I will now test mouse click issues and report back.

Attached Files:

14. ParallelsU220

ParallelsU220 Bit poster

WOW! ok, happy place!.
    when I manually installed the update, two things occurred.
    My 10.8 instance which was previously showing the mouse unclick issue is now no longer showing the issue.
    Secondly when I re-opened my 10.6.8 instance, Parallels Tools installation kicked off, once it completed and restarted, both the mouse unclick issue and a second re-draw issue that I was preparing to research also appear to have disappeared.
    The issue I was having was that opening Filemaker 11 on 10.6.8 OSX server, moving windows around would result in a redraw issue within the window, unable to locate the screen shot I thought I had of it, never mind, possibly resolved by Parallels Tools install, or some other issue covered in the update to 14.1.1

Only remaining issue you guys may wish to review is why the Update is not visible to the app, as updating was the first thing I tried to resolve my issue, but no updates were available (and still weren't when I checked this morning)

Very happy my resolution was nearly immediate, unlike previous reports in this thread. thank you.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  15. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

• Parallels Desktop for Mac v 14.1.1
    • macOS X Sierra and Mojave guests.
    • macOS X High Sierra host.
    • iMac 27 Late 2014.
    • Magic Mouse
    OK, reporting back on how the update affects the scrolling in a macOS Guest VM and using a Magic Mouse. Overall, the up/down scrolling is better. However, it still acts oddly. It starts to scroll very slowly (kind of sticky), then accelerates. Overall, it works but is not nearly as good as the real OS due to the "jumpy" scrolling/sticky starting.

That said, the horizontal scrolling with the Magic Mouse is terrible. As an example, in a Finder window using Column view, if you try a side swipe/scroll on the Magic Mouse, it simply goes from one end/extreme to the other, skipping over the columns in the middle. Almost impossible to slowly scroll horizontally. I've tried it with and without Better Touch Tool enabled but no change. This makes it impossible to scroll through Finder window columns or other windows/apps where horizontal scrolling is common and useful.

Bottom Line: The 14.1.1 update sure does help, but it does not seem to solve the problem completely and leaves the Sierra Guest OS as quite hobbled.

16. JimT1

JimT1 Bit poster

I've just found this thread now, but I too have been having this problem for over a year. I'm reading it through - from the beginning and I've only reached March 2018 - so I'm hopeful that by the time I get to the end, there will be a resolution to the issue. But in the event that there is not - I wanted to share what I've found works for getting the mouse 'un-stuck' once it gets into this state. I'm using an iMac with an Apple Magic Mouse. When the mouse click fails to get released - which happens every few minutes for me - I move two fingers around quickly on top of the magic mouse and it becomes unstuck. I think the exact sequence that unsticks it is moving one finger up and the other down at the same time - (try it both ways). It pretty reliably fixes the issue but has the undesired by-product of scrolling my document way up or way down from where I want it to be - and I'm working in Xcode on very lengthy swift modules. Often it completely disrupts my train of thought and it takes some time just to find the specific code segment I was working on before this occurred. The other issue I have with OSX as a guest OS is that normal scrolling is ridiculous too. The smallest scroll movement jumps the screen by several hundred lines sometimes and again, it's hard to scroll back to where I wanted to be. Okay. Continuing to read through this thread to the end and hoping for a solution.

17. DavidS66

DavidS66 Bit poster

Yeah, I used to experience the same issue with the mouse movements, but only for Mac. When I shifted to Windows, it was all fine. I guess this is just a but, but I still found no explanation to this.

18. CarlosM10

CarlosM10 Bit poster

I was too confronting a comparative issue. I just uninstallled parallels,reinstalled it and it worked out.Still if issue endures, you can take a snap of it and can post it here.WIill be appreciative to help.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2020
  19. CarlosM10

CarlosM10 Bit poster

I was too defying a similar issue. I just uninstallled parallels,reinstalled it and it worked out.Still if issue suffers, you can take a snap of it and can post it here.WIill be thankful to help.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2020
  20. JohannesH5

JohannesH5 Bit poster

Also have this issue. Running a Debian Linux virtual machine and mouse occasionally refuses to accept clicks. I tried the trick with using a mouse with a scroll wheel but that did not fix the issue. Would be great if the system somehow detects that a mouse is stuck (clicking), and then automatically unsticks it.