Windows XP VM will not start

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by digoby2, Oct 6, 2007.

1. digoby2

digoby2 Bit poster

I am running Windows XP on my iMac using Parallels 2.0 with the 3214 build. The overall machine (i.e. both the Mac and PC side) froze and I had to switch off using the power switch.

The Mac rebooted fine however when I launched Parallels the Parallels desktop window came up indicating the machine was in a suspended state. When I click the Start parallels triangle a message comes up indicating that "Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." It goes on to give me a few different ways to start the VM including: safe mode; safe mode with networking; safe mode with command prompt; and start windows normally. I tried the "start windows normally" and the Windows XP launch screen comes up for a split second then there is a blue screen with some scrolling text for another half second and then back to the message described above.

I've recently had to reinstall everything on my new Mac after a hard drive crash (the store couldn't recover anything). I am hoping that I don't have to re-install Windows XP again. I will be cloning the VM going forward so that reinstallation is less of a problem.

Any ideas? I have not tried resetting the VM as yet.

2. jhedleyj

jhedleyj Bit poster

I had this problem a few days ago. (I have build 5160 by the way.) No reason for the happening - the machine was in suspended mode and when I started up I got the BSOD and CHKDSK started its work. Having completed CHKDSK a never-ending cycle of reboots started. I simply reverted to a recent Snapshot using Snapshot Manager from the Actions menu. Everything now runs fine again but I have no reason why the problem occurred in the first place.

3. digoby2

digoby2 Bit poster

Thanks, my version of Parallels (3214) does not have Snapshot Manager although it does have "Make a Screen Shot" which probably would not work in the same way at this time.

Does anyone know what will happen if I reset the VM?

4. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

digoby2, is it possible to boot Windows in a safe mode? If you can manage to do this, try to reinstall Parallels Tools then and please write back if it resolves the problem.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

5. mikilni

mikilni Bit poster

Caught in the same loop

Hello,

I am caught in the same chkdsk-boot-chkdsk... loop when I try to start XP (I'm on 5160). The only suggestion I've seen thus far is to remove the VM and start anew. Is there anything less dramatic I can do to recover? If not, is there anything that can be done to preserve all the applications, accounts, etc. I have installed and set up in my current VM? Unfortunately, I have not done a "clone". I'm a newbie w/Parallels and was unaware of the utility of this until joining this forum. TIA!

- Mike

6. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

last year I just went back to a clone after a BSOD caused by insufficient space for a Windows auto update

please see my older post for details

Hugh W