Windows File Explorer icon

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bburtonpa, Jan 13, 2019.

1. bburtonpa

bburtonpa Bit poster

Parallels, in my opinion, should be as unobtrusive as possible, therefore can we have an option to display the TRUE Windows file explorer icon instead of the cloud icon Parallels is showing now?

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi bbutronpa,

Thank you for the suggestion!
    Could you please explain what do you mean by the cloud icon?

If you mean the Parallels icon (||) applied as an overlay, then let me explain its purpose. Many users use similar applications in Mac and Windows. E.g. a support agent uses a personal Skype account on a Mac and a support Skype account in Windows VM. While icons look similar, the overlay helps to distinguish them easier.

I believe that there is nothing that looks like File Explorer on a Mac (though I didn't do a research). And thus we might have removed the overlay. But in this case some icons will have the overlay and some not. In our experience, if the reasoning behind the change is not evident, it brings confusion. I think it will be the case here.

3. bburtonpa

bburtonpa Bit poster

This is the icon I see on in the dock when I run File Explorer (Windows 10, version 1803). This is not the icon I see in Windows itself, I see the normal file folder icon.

Attached Files:

4. DenisO

DenisO Parallels Developers

We need more information about the issue. Please reproduce it and send us technical data (see http://kb.parallels.com/9058). After that post a Problem Report ID here.

Thank you,
    Denis

5. bburtonpa

bburtonpa Bit poster

Problem report ID: 293739829
    Note, I tested this issue with a Windows 7 VM and with Windows 10 v 1809, in both cases the file explorer icon appears normally (as a file folder).