Run as...

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox Feature Suggestions' started by bburtonpa, Jan 13, 2019.

1. bburtonpa

bburtonpa Bit poster

I use Parallels for software development while VPN'd into my company network.

In order for Visual Studio and SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) to function normally while on the network, I have to us "runas" to start Visual Studio/SSMS using my domain account. It would be nice if Parallels managed the runas "under the covers" e.g. used my network id/password to start Windows apps, so that all I had to do was double click on the icon and the app started as if I was a domain user.

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi bburtonpa,

I suggest your to create shortcuts, that will issue
    runas /savecred /user:Domain\UserName "full path to executable"
    command for Visual Studio and SSMS.
    Note that then everyone can start these apps without knowing the network id/password.

I don't see how Parallels can do it significantly easier.

3. bburtonpa

bburtonpa Bit poster

I have already created shortcuts as you mentioned. I was thinking more of Parallels providing a way to manage a list of apps, that would launch using runas, using domain creds that are stored securely by Parallels. This would make it so much easier for business users VPN'd to a their business domain.

4. alev

alev Parallels Team

I see. Makes sense!

I will move the thread to Parallels Toolbox forum as it will likely be a general tool for Windows.