Wrong recommended resolution on MBA Retina

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LoveK, Jan 18, 2019.

1. LoveK

LoveK Member

Hi.

Is it only me that get 2880x1800 as "Recommended" resolution on MBA Retina 2018 (v.14.1.0 + W10)? The native resolution on the MBA Retina is 2560x1600. Win10 defaults to the recommended res after resume and that is quite annoying. I have tried all possible settings in Parallels to no avail. What I have seen in the documentation Parallels state that the native resolution for a retina display is 2880x1800 but that is not true for all retina displays!!

Resolution error MBA Retina.png

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello. Please shut Windows down, open the virtual machine configuration window, navigate to Hardware -> Graphics and select 'Scaled' for 'Resolution'. Then, close the window and check if there's any difference this time.

3. LoveK

LoveK Member

That did not help. That mode does exactly what it is supposed to do, i.e. set a lower resolution (1440x900) and scale it to fit the screen.

Today Parallels tech support logged in to try to fix the problem to no avail.

Could someone w/ a MBA Retina (or MBP Retina 13") please test if they also have this problem.
    To reproduce the problem on a MacBook Air Retina w/ native resolution 2560x1600 (possibly also MBP 13").
    Best for retina or external monitor mode, Scale to fit screen: off/auto/keep ratio (same effect regardless).

Works kind of:
    1. Enter fullscreen mode
    2. Set res to 2560x1600 (native for MBA retina)
    3. Resume from pause/suspend will keep the correct res, but a reboot will default to wrong res (2880x1800)
    Steps that resets the resolution to 2880x1800 (wrong):
    1. VM in fullscreen mode w/ res set to 2560x1600
    2. Exit fullscreen
    3. Enter fullscreen
    4. Windows defaults to 2880x1800 (wrong)
    or
    1. VM in fullscreen mode @ 2560x1600
    2. (Go to MacOS)
    3. Close lid
    4. Connect external monitor
    5. MacOS and Windows recognize the external monitor and defaults to the native res for it (2560x1440)
    6. Disconnect the external monitor
    7. Open lid, MacOS back at 2560x1600 (native)
    8. Enter VM (that is stil in fullscreen mode)
    9. Windows defaults to 2880x1800 (wrong)
    To summarize, the problem appears when:
    • VM used on external display and then back to retina display in fullscreen
    • VM used in windowed mode then back to retina display in fullscreen
    • VM rebooted
    • More or less every time Windows asks for native resolution it fails (EDID from external monitor works but not from Parallels simulated monitor)
    There is something fishy going on in Parallels virtual graphics adapter, it thinks that native res for MBA Retina is 2880x1800...

4. LoveK

LoveK Member

On a hunch I tested w/ the MacOS display set to "scaled" and "bigger text", then the VM thinks that 2560x1600 is the recommended resolution. But MacOS looks way to big so this is not a good solution.
    Skärmavbild 2019-01-19 kl. 21.35.50.png

5. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

This issue is currently under investigation by our Tier-2 team under a support ticket. You will receive an update shortly.

6. LoveK

LoveK Member