Some programs not accessing \\Mac\Home\xxx folders

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Kazoo, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Kazoo

Kazoo Bit poster

New Parallels user here...
    Installed it, everything went swimmingly well!
    Had two issues... I'll only describe the first as the second could just be the software I was using.
    I bring up Edge, go somewhere, and download a file. The file downloads. I try to execute it. Nothing happens.
    I bring up the Edge "downloads" blade and it says "unable to download". I click on "go to download folder" and nothing happens. I check the options and it says the download folder is \\Mac\Home\Downloads (which I assume is correct). It says that even if I set it to be "This PC\Downloads".
    I open up Windows Explorer and navigate to \\Mac\Home\Downloads and... no problem! Directory is accessible, file is there. I can execute it from there.

But Edge seems to have an issue... it can download to the folder but can't seem to do other things with the folder.

Any idea?
    Latest everything. Parallels 14, latest updates. Windows 10, all updates applied.

Thanks,

Marc

2. Kazoo

Kazoo Bit poster

FYI... another engineer also has the exact same symptoms. He never uses Edge so never noticed it. He's been happily using Parallels with no issue, but it appears this particular issue may not be specific to me.

3. Hi, could you reinstall Parallels Tools and check the issue please? If it will not help you please reproduce the issue and generate the problem report using these steps. Please reply us back with the report ID.

4. Kazoo

Kazoo Bit poster

Reinstall it on the Windows guest OS, I assume?

5. Yes, Parallels Tools will be installed into the Windows VM.

6. Kazoo

Kazoo Bit poster

Sorry. That did not appear to work. I removed Parallel Tools, rebooted Windows, reinstalled, and it acts exactly the same.

Again, the problem is in Windows Edge being able to access files in the default download directory (\\Mac\Home\Downloads). It will download to it, but can't access the downloaded file or be able to open the directory. This may be Edge specific.

7. @Kazoo and did you try these steps?
    If not, please check and provide us with any results.

8. Kazoo

Kazoo Bit poster

Uh.. I'm not sure what steps you want me to try. That message is exactly a year old.. the "new" insider build has long since been incorporated into the current version of Windows. Am I misunderstanding?

Out of curiosity, have you tried to see if the problem occurs on any of your systems?

9. I've tested it, tried to access \\Mac\Home\Downloads from different apps from my VM. And got no issue, so then I've found some info about the issue with opening downloads file from Edge and just sent it to you. I'll continue my investigation and will let you know once I've found any workaround.

10. Kazoo

Kazoo Bit poster

Yes... I'm not having any issues in the VM except for Edge. It might very well be Edge.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  11. Hi @Kazoo, this issue has been reported to the Parallels Engineering team, and once we get any updates we will let you know.
    Thanks for your cooperation.

12. MiteshD

MiteshD Bit poster

I am seeing the exact same behavior with Microsoft edge reported in the first message.

13. Hi could you please generate the tech.report using this KB article and reply us back with the report ID.