Parallels Tools setup keeps failing

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by sydbarrett74, Jul 24, 2007.

1. sydbarrett74

sydbarrett74 Member

Hi all, I've got a Mac Pro, 4GB...I'm running build 3128 (won't upgrade to 3.0 till most of the kinks are worked out). Every time I launch my Vista VM, Tools setup runs, and it complains that I have to restart the VM so the previous installation completes. Restarting just gives me the same result. Help!

2. Sonderpa

Sonderpa Member

During the startup of Windows click on the cd-rom (if you're working with Parallels windowed).
    Then select the physical cd-rom instead of the tools.iso.
    This should do the trick. ;)

3. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

Please go to Parallels menu, choose Devices, select the "CD/DVD rom" option and
    click "Disconnect the image", or click "Default CD/DVD".

Parallels CD with Tools will be disconnected,

Best regards,

4. sydbarrett74

sydbarrett74 Member

Now I have the added wrinkle that the same thing is happening (it keeps telling me to continue with the previous Tools installation and restart the VM) but now the problem is worse since I upgraded to Parallels 3.0 (build 4560). Without the new version of Tools, my networking isn't up (I get an autoconfig IP address of 169.254.x.x)....please help! My VM is currently something of a doorstop! :(

5. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello,

Upgrade to 5160 and reinstall Tools

6. sydbarrett74

sydbarrett74 Member

I'm getting the same result with the 5160 upgrade. Go to Actions -> Cancel Parallels Tools Installation and then attempt a reinstallation, same message. This is getting incredibly frustrating.....I need Tools successfully installed, because without it I just have stock VGA, no Coherence, et cetera...