RAM maxed out in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by StuartD2, Jan 22, 2019.

1. StuartD2

StuartD2 Member

Things were fairly normal until a burp in time this afternoon when working in WIN 10 slowed to crawl...
    Checking the Resource Monitor shows the RAM maxed out (Have 24 Gig, with 5.9 ascribed to Win10).

I realise at this point in time (and there was a time before this...) the default solution for everything is to reinstall parallels tools.
    This I have done, for no good result... having been in and out of the VM a few times now, I can see that even when I am not working in WIN10, in fact while it is still booting, the RAM is maxed out..

Now, why do you suppose that is....?

2. Hi @StuartD2 could you please provide us with the screenshot of this issue?

3. StuartD2

StuartD2 Member

Sure..
    Attached...

Nothing running, doesn't matter what RAM is ascribed to Win 10, the meter is always full..

I will note that "normal" operation is something I have come to accept, with a disappearing, sluggish cursor. This doesn't happen in Win XP or Mac OSX.
    I have likened it elsewhere in here to have the cursor on a rubber band and often the rubber band breaks.
    A ticket was opened for that some time ago, it travelled a fair way, back and forth, until those on the other side left me to watch for v14 updates, in the hope that a miracle would occur and fix things. Of course that hasn't happened...

Conversely, working in XP is a dream, but not everything runs in XP.....

Attached Files:

• RAM.jpeg
      RAM.jpeg
      File size:
      452.5 KB
      Views:
  4. MarkLe

MarkLe Junior Member

I have the same issue (Win 10, Parallels 14.1.2). Resource monitor in Windows seems to show the correct amount of memory used.

I also checked the RAM usage for a CentOS VM: that's showing the same behaviour: the RAM bar is always maxed out. So this clearly appears to be an issue with the Parallels Resource Monitor.

Attached Files:

5. Guys, could you generate the problem report please? Check this article for more info, generate report right after the issue reoccurs and reply us back with the report ID.

6. MarkLe

MarkLe Junior Member

Sure!
    Just booted my Windows 10 VM, looked at the resource monitor (100% of 6 GB of ram shown in use) and created the report. Report ID = 298849605

7. RickM

RickM Bit poster

Also been having similar issues - especially after MAC has gone to screen saver. Tech report #332789825 was issued.

8. DavidW49

DavidW49 Bit poster

I have been having the same issue for several weeks, not sure if it is the resource manager or the VM's memory management. This is a report from right after booting. 332857137

9. Hi, did you perform steps from this KB article?
    Hi, could you please provide us with a bit more info about the issue? When did it appear at the first time for example?

10. DavidW49

DavidW49 Bit poster

I am not sure when it actually started, but it was a couple of weeks ago. When this does happen, the VM (Windows 10) gets really slow. I have not found a way to clear the memory. I have run a memory tool pithing Windows and it thinks that I am only using 4 or 5 GB of Memory. Even restarting the host (16" MBP with 32GB and the latest production OS (no Betas).

11. RalphN2

RalphN2 Bit poster

Having a similar problem, except on on Windows XP. Memory is maxed out, Cursor disappears. Running a ShutDown -- nothing happens, have to force quit PDM.