Extremely Slow

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Louise2, Nov 25, 2018.

1. charliez

charliez Member

I am having the same problem, my app is TradeStation v 10 (latest update). Extremely slow.
    I'm running a Mac Pro with 8 procs and 64GB allocated to Parallels 10 Pro.
    I see this issue has been running since last year. Is there a concerted effort to fix this, or should I finally ditch Parallels in favor of free Virtual Box???

2. BeeMb

BeeMb Bit poster

My problems on a MacBook air started the day I installed V14. After weeks looking for a solution and a totally unresponsive virtual machine, i bought a new MacBook Pro. Now it runs perfectly. Conclusion : keep away from V14 if you are using older hardware.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. StuartD2

StuartD2 Member

This behaviour manifested itself with the last version of v13. New computer, new Win10, fresh parallels install...
    Because Parallels were banging on about the increase in everything good with v14, I upgraded, for no real benefit.

As I mentioned somewhere else in here, Parallels don't have a solution, after a protracted discussion I was simply told to watch a post on v14 revisions, in the hope a subsequent revision would miraculously fix the problem.

In ten years on the previous computer, running a Win XP VM I didn't experience this...

Have a look at virtual box, but I found you need to be much more of a geek to keep all the balls in the air.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that, it just isn't me..
    Parallels is a lot cleaner, but the same principle..

4. charliez

charliez Member

Wow just wow. How's that shiny new mac working out?
    Mine is a dual proc multi core Mac Pro with 64GB ram and 512GB SSD. That shiny enough for you? I use it for stock trading with TradeStation 10.
    Absolutely unusable.

5. Hi, could you please provide us with more detailed info. 2 screenshots of your Windows Task manager and Mac Activity Monitor (when the issue with slow performance reproduced) will be very appreciated. Looking forward to your reply.

6. This monitor shows how much memory the VM uses, in general, in terms of MacOS. After launch, the virtual machine reserves for itself the amount of memory that is selected in its settings. Memory consumption inside the VM cannot be seen from this monitor, only the task manager can show this.

7. MikeP14

MikeP14 Bit poster

Why is it with each version of Parallels my machine gets unusable to the point where I have to pull out my 15 year old PC just to finish basic operations on a website. I have a $4000 Imac that works great on the MAC side but on windows it can't even keep up with my 2 finger typing. This is pure insanity. I am cancelling my yearly subscription. A $50 chromebook is 10 times faster.

8. @MikeP14 if you decide to investigate and resolve the issue with performance please provide us with more info about it:
    1. Which version of Parallels Desktop and Guest OS you're using
    2. Does your VM work slowly everytime or with any special applications?
    3. Screenshots of CPU usage will be appreciated.
    4. Problem report ID (you can generate it with the instructions from this KB article right after the slow performance issue reproduced)
    Thanks for your time