Why I can't use Parallels Lite w/o subscription anymore?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by KonstantinC2, Jan 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. KonstantinC2

KonstantinC2 Bit poster

Hi!
    I don't use Windows VM at all. I have only one VM with Fedora Linux.
    After last Parallels Lite update I can't use it anymore. It want me to buy a subscription with Windows support, but I don't need it.

Is it a bug, or I need to switch back to VirtualBox?

Thank you!

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello KonstantinC2.
    Linux virtual machines did not require a subscription before, however starting with version 1.4.0 a subscription is required to run any OS in a virtual machine with Parallels Desktop Lite. Existing users running Parallels Desktop Lite of earlier version who had no subscription are being granted with a free 1 year subscription.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2019
  3. ChristopherM10

ChristopherM10 Bit poster

Yeah, well this new policy sucks goats. As does your crap pricing policy that forces cash-strapped users to buy a separate license for every machine they own. I will never recommend Parallels for my company. (FWIW, I purchased a license.)

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

You may reach out to the management here with your feedback.

5. ChristopherM10

I've done so, numerous times. They don't give a rat's ass. Despite their pricing policy, I thought it was pretty awesome of them to offer a free solution to Mac users who occasionally need to work in Linux. But no more. Obviously, the number of these users must be miniscule compared to the number who need to work in Windows, and especially because MacOS is already a unix-based system and, hence, can already do most of what a Linux user needs. You'd think Parallels would at least make as much as they would from charging Linux uses as they would from recommendations of Linux users who are supported without required subscriptions who discover what a robust product Parallels is and would recommend it to friends and co-workers who needed a VM for Windows. But no, let's not think strategically, let's not think in terms of building an enthusiastic base of Linux users who could serve as evangelists for the product, let's just wring what we can out of that tiny minority as well, even if it's not in our best long-term interest. Seriously, what a crap strategy. Everybody I know is certainly going to hear about it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  6. Hi @ChristopherM10 we would like to inform you that the existing users running Parallels Desktop Lite of earlier version who had no subscription are being granted with a free 1 year subscription. To take advantage of the offer, please create an account as prompted by the Parallels Desktop Lite 1.4.0 application.

7. etresoft

etresoft Junior Member

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  8. ChristopherM10

Well, that's a bit like Trump only offering DACA Dreamers a 3-year reprieve without a path to citizenship but, unlike the Democrats, I'll take it. :) Thanks, I appreciate the offer. However, when I click on "Subscribe" and login to my App Store account, a window pops up with a subscription agreement committing me to a year at $79.99:

Subscribe to Subscription (1 year) Auto Renewable Subscription. Free for 2 weeks starting now. Automatically renews for $79.99 starting Feb 8, 2019.​

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "creating an account". I assume you mean an account with Parallels, but I already have one (indeed, two). Please clarify.

Thanks.

-chris

9. @ChristopherM10 did you have the Parallels Desktop lite before? The offer should pop up for existing PDL users when they launch PDL after update to 1.4. Did you got that pop-up message?

10. ChristopherM10

Howdy Maria,
    Nope, I'm not getting the offer in question, just a window offering $79.99 subscriptions. See attached screenshot. I've tried logging in with both my Gmail and Proton Mail accounts. (The latter is for a paid version of Parallels I installed on my MacBook Air (on which I couldn't get PDL to work but where I really needed it). The former is the one I've been using for running Linux with PDL on my iMac.)
    -chris

Attached Files:

11. @ChristopherM10 and as I understand you used Parallels Desktop and what about Parallels Desktop lite? did you install it before and get the previous version of it? Because only Parallels Desktop lite users (who already had it, before new subscription policy) will get this offer. If you used previous version of Parallels Desktop Lite plz let me know.

12. Also could you please generate the problem report from your Parallels Desktop Lite installation? Please reply us back with the report ID

13. ChristopherM10

Yes, I was happily using PDL on two machines (an iMac and an old MacBook Pro) for quite a few months before the change in policy. I could not get PDL to work on my MacBook Air so, a couple of months ago, I purchased a license for the standalone version of Parallels Desktop 14 for the Air but, of course, continued using PDL on the other two machines. So again, in answer to your question, I was a PDL user before the new subscription policy took effect so I should be eligible for your offer. I got locked out of PDL after PDL was automatically updated.

14. ChristopherM10

OK, I've done that. Thanks for your help.

-chris

15. And could you provide me with the report ID please?

16. ChristopherM10

:-/ Well, I didn't take not of the report ID when I submitted it and I've not found any record of it. So I just submitted another one: report ID 296295010.

-chris

17. Thanks a lot, @ChristopherM10 we've provided Parallels Engineering team with your Report and info about the issue.
    Once we get any update we will let you know. Thanks a lot for your cooperation.

18. ChristopherM10

Howdy, any word on this? I would really like to be able to take advantage of your offer and run PDL on my iMac...

19. @ChristopherM10 we're working on the resolution and update you soon. Thanks a lot for your time.

20. Please check your inbox and reply