Create snapshots on external disks

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by VladikK, Apr 3, 2018.

1. VladikK

VladikK Bit poster

Both from backup, and internal storage optimization points of view, it will make lots of sense to create snapshots on external media:
    Have the VM itself on the Macs internal disk, and once the external backup disk is connected, create a snapshot and store on the external disk. Just like timemachine works.

I do want to create snapshots. Lots of them. However, it is really troublesome to carry them around on the mac's ssd. Size of the VM on disk grows out of control. It'd be preferable to have the vm itself on the mac, but store as much snapshots as you want on a cheap external disk.

Thanks

2. NikG1

NikG1 Bit poster

I agree, now Mac's are almost all SSD space is at a premium and saving them on the internal storage mitigates against keeping them

MatthewR20 and LeonardoB1 like this.
  3. JohnC0

JohnC0 Bit poster

It is so easy to use a external disk to keep snapshots to keep me from going to out of disk hell.

4. LeonardoB1

LeonardoB1 Bit poster

Some ransomware encrypt certain files and backups. Through another post, I have found on my host machine the physical location of my snapshots. The other post also stated, "It is strongly not recommended to delete, modify or move them manually". I want to prepare for the worst case where I need to recover and store my snapshots externally to my host machine.