Parallels Lite now asking for subscription?

Discussion in 'Account and Subscription Management' started by BenB13, Jan 24, 2019.

1. BenB13

BenB13 Bit poster

I've been using Parallel Lite to run MacOS VMs for some time: but today it asked me to create an account, and it wants me to pay a subscription. I cannot access my Mountain Lion VM.

I understood that using Linux or MacOS in a VM did not require a subscription: and that use of Windows required a one-off fee. This change in behaviour seems to have been introduced in an update from the Mac App Store: indeed, rolling back to version 1.33 regains use of the VMs without locking me out for payment.

Changing the payment terms in an update, without any warning, would seem to be classic "Bait & Switch", and very unsavoury. Is this the case?

Furthermore, the £73.99 annual subscription that you're asking for the LITE version is more expensive than the subscription of £69.99 for the Home & Student edition on your website -- and only £6 per year less than the "Pro" subscription rate. What is going on?

I would be happy to pay a one-off fee of, say, £29.99 to use MacOS VMs in the Lite app. But if you thought this move would drive business towards you, then you are sadly mistaken.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    TusharV likes this.
  2. Hi @BenB13 Parallels Desktop Lite 1.4.0 we switched to the App Store based subscription with 14-day trial. Existing users running Parallels Desktop Lite of earlier version who had no subscription are being granted with a free 1 year subscription. To take advantage of the offer, please create an account as prompted by the Parallels Desktop Lite 1.4.0 application. So you can use free one year subscription now.

3. BenB13

BenB13 Bit poster

@Maria@Parallels I did create an account, but there was no option for the free one-year subscription. However, that's still missing the point. Changing the pricing model in an update, without warning, is sharp practice, to say the least. On top of that, the sudden change from "Free" to "£74 per year" is excessive, for a supposedly "Lite" version. As already said, it also makes no sense for this "Lite" version to be more expensive than the Home & Student price.
    If you offer a fair price for a one-off purchase, with update pricing to major new versions as and when, then I would be happy to be a Parallels customer. However, with sneaky changes to payment models and subscription models, I'll be using version 1.33 until it becomes incompatible with future OSes, and then I'll be looking at competing products.

4. @BenB13 thank yo for your feedback. Also I'll provide our Engineering team with your info about no option for the 1 year free subscription.

5. Also could you please generate the problem report from your Parallels Desktop Lite installation? Please reply us back with the report ID

6. kietlon

kietlon Bit poster

Hi, I have the same problem. How can I get free 1 year subscription?

7. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello kietlon, Parallels Desktop Lite 1.4.0 we switched to the App Store based subscription with 14-day trial. Existing users running Parallels Desktop Lite of earlier version who had no subscription are being granted with a free 1 year subscription. To take advantage of the offer, please create an account as prompted by the Parallels Desktop Lite 1.4.0 application.

8. kietlon

kietlon Bit poster

I did that and I only have 14 Day trial. What Should I do now to get 1 year subscription?

9. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Please create an account as prompted by the Parallels Desktop Lite 1.4.0 application. Once you logged into your account you will be prompted to buy subscription, kindly select that so you will be availed with the free 1 year subscription.

10. kietlon

kietlon Bit poster

I haven't that option, only trial and paid subscription.

11. kietlon

kietlon Bit poster

My current subscription is expiring 6.02.19 (14-days), and only option is renewal for 369,99 zlotys.

12. @BenB13, any updates? Did you generate the problem report?
    If yes, please reply us back with that ID. Thanks in advance.

13. Hi, please generate the problem report using this KB article and then please reply us back with the report ID. We need it to continue investigation. Thanks in advance.

14. kietlon

kietlon Bit poster

I wrote PM.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  15. Got it and reply! Thanks for the report.

16. kietlon

kietlon Bit poster

Unfortunately, Since Feb 5 without any help.

17. Please check your inbox for more info

kietlon likes this.
  18. kietlon

kietlon Bit poster

Thank you. Everything works fine.

19. TusharV

TusharV Bit poster

Hello, I am facing the same problems as described above.
    All of a sudden(assuming since the update to 1.4.0), I cannot access my older linux VM without paying up-front for an annual subscription.

20. TusharV

TusharV Bit poster

Anything?