MacOS crash/reboot: Mojave, Windows 8, Quicken

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by pDavid, Oct 16, 2018.

1. pDavid

pDavid Member

I have the latest versions of
    * MacOS Mojave
    * Windows 8
    * Parallels Home 14
    * Quicken 2019 Premier Windows
    Hardware is a new (2017 model) iMac 27" machine.

I frequently use Quicken Windows from within a Parallels virtual machine. After recently upgrading my hardware and MacOS, I am getting crash/reboots of MacOS more than once per day. Most of the time, I am doing something with Quicken: launching it, starting a download of financial data, and so forth. Just today, I got a MacOS crash while shutting down Windows virtual machine.

So Quicken use can cause the crash, but it is not the only cause.

Any suggestions?

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @pDavid , please try to perform first aid on mac and then reboot your mac and check if that helps.

3. HelmutD

HelmutD Bit poster

I have the same issue with a 2015 iMac, same software versions. Disk first aid did not fix it

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @HelmutD , please boot your mac in recovery mode and then perform first aid , reboot your mac and check if that helps.

5. pDavid

pDavid Member

Hello @Arun@Parallels,
    You refer to the first aid function of Disk Utility, right? I did that, and no errors were reported.
    My crashing problems persist. As well, I am experiencing crashes in other situtations now, such as exiting Parallels Coherence mode.
    What should I try next?
    D.A.

6. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello pDavid, Please reproduce the issue, generate a Technical Report ID (refer to http://bit.ly/1lUhbwK for assistance) while the issue occurs (very important) and reply with the report ID number. We'll then investigate

7. pDavid

pDavid Member

Successful work-around provided by Parallels technical support. Excellent.
    I generated a detailed technical report and filed a request for support on the Parallels web pile. Eventually I spoke with a very nice rep who provided the work-around. The rep also indicated that Parallels Inc knows about the problem, is not ignoring the problem, and will provide a software update to address the problem.
    The Parallels rep had obviously studied my case with care, so I don't know if this work-around solution will fix everyone up. But anyway, here it is.

I made the following changes to the Settings pages of my Windows virtual machine:
    1) Set virtual machine memory to 6Gb
    2) Set video memory to Auto(Recommended)
    3) Changed virtual machine graphics mode from Best for Retina to Scaled
    The rep also guided me through the following procedure. I don't know if every one of these steps is required.
    1. Uninstall Parallels by dragging Parallels.app into the trash can.
    2. From Apple's Disk Utility program, execute the "First Aid" function on my main disk drive.
    3. Reboot Apple computer.
    4. Install Parallels from distribution media.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  8. HelmutD

HelmutD Bit poster

THank you. I'll try that. The Disk First Aid approach did not solve the problem.

9. DvK

DvK Bit poster

@ Team Parallels
    from my point of view you have a major incident with Parallels vers. 14 and macOS Mojave.
    As a power user, the crashes accumulate per day and cause a total failure of the macOS system. From High Sierra with Parallells 13 to Mojave and Parallels 14 it's a total disaster. Thank God for Time Machine.
    The problem is not caused by Quicken because I use other software under Parallels with Windows. Unfortunately, the marketing statement for better performance has instead caused an unexpected performance deterioration. Please provide a new version, which is similar stable as V13. Thank you for your understanding about my dissatisfaction, but I expect more than a statement. A workaround is not a solution for me.

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @DvK, are you using Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition? If so - please shut down the virtual machine, go to the virtual machine's Configuration settings -> Options - > Optimization -> No limit and check out the performance.

11. DvK

DvK Bit poster

Hi PaulChris
    yes, indeed. Thanks for your support. I will try it after x-mas.
    Regards,
    DvK

12. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello DvK, Sure, Keep us posted and we are here to help you 24/7.

13. DvK

DvK Bit poster

@ Team Parallels and all,
    back to check Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac Pro Edition on macOS Mojave and the result is that I still have the same issue.
    1. High Sierra with Parallels Desktop 13 works perfectly - great job, the most stabilized System ever!!!
    2. Mojave update and Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac Pro Edition - does not fit together with 2 interesting points:
      • First 2-3 days no issues and no black screens when I was working with Parallels (Win7 System)
      • 3rd/4th day 1st black screen and
      • the next days a black screen happened after a break of >30 min. and switching into the VM (Win7), which was still open. The next operation inside the VM produced the black screen
    As mentioned above I changed my settings
    1. virtual machine's Configuration settings -> Options - > Optimization -> No limit and check out the performance
    2. and as read in a parallel forum, I changed the hypervisor to Apple
    So I will back in around 1-2 hours to give an update about my experiences. Parallel ist would be great to get a support by today and a solution instantly.
    Thanks and regards,
    DvK

14. pDavid

pDavid Member

Hello DvK,
    I will echo the advice I got right here in this thread:
    Please reproduce the issue, generate a Technical Report ID (refer to http://bit.ly/1lUhbwK for assistance) while the issue occurs (very important) and reply with the report ID number. We'll then investigate​
    For me, this was the path to getting my issues resolved. A rep from Parallels Inc. got me going again.