Win XP in Parallels 12 not launching

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by J.T, Feb 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. J.T

J.T Bit poster

I've used Parallels for more than ten years and have had both Win 7 and Win XP available for three years, but now XP is unusable because launch attempts result in a black screen with the message "No boot device available, press Enter to continue" after which a message begins "CLIENT MAC ADDR: and ends PXE-E53: No bood filename received" and then PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE-ROM" before finally starting that series all over again. My Win 7 operates fine but I have a great deal of data on the Win XP OS that I can't access till this is solved. Help will be greatly appreciated.
    JT
    Oregon

2. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Hunter

Please start the virtual machine, select Actions (from the Mac menu bar) -> Take Snapshot. Again select Actions -> Reset and check if it works.

3. J.T

J.T Bit poster

Thank you for your suggestion. As it turned out, the whole virtual machine .pvm file was corrupted. With help from Prabhu Sampath at Parallels, after many other things were tried, we arranged a transfer of a backup copy from 2017 to replace the corrupted .pvm file on the internal iMac drive and that started XP working again.

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We are glad to hear that the issue is resolved. Feel free to reach out to us anytime for support.