Performance problems in Windows 10 after upgrade to v14

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DellW, Aug 27, 2018.

1. BrianJ6

BrianJ6 Junior Member

Installed all of Windows recent updates. Now running Parallels 14.1.2 and Windows 1809 while still experiencing all of the same issues I've had since installing Parallels 14. PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!

Technical report 299731044

Seth W likes this.
  2. Guys, please also collect a spindump using this KB article.
    Please add it to your reply if possible. Thanks

3. Jamie Janssen

Jamie Janssen Bit poster

I'm still running High Sierra and upgraded to P14.1.2, my Windows 10 system(s) are unusable, have to test with my Server 2019 Trial editions, but thought they where pretty ok.
    Edit: yes, Windows server 2019 DataCenter boots in 20s and is fast and snappy, eats hardly any CPU cycles, whereas Windows 10 clean install boots in 3-5 mins and is quit unusable thereafter running 100% CPU.

Can someone confirm this problem doesn't exist in Parallels 13?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  4. CoryT

CoryT Bit poster

am having severe slowdown issues using windows 10 (new install) and parallels 14. have sent in a technical data report (#299850390). Any help in resolving this. my computer is too slow to use!!!

Seth W likes this.
  5. BrianJ6

BrianJ6 Junior Member

Technical Report 299874154 to correspond with spindump request. The spindump file size (8.5MB) exceeds what I can upload through this forum. How else may we get that info to you?

6. I'll send you an email and you will be ab;e to reply back with the file.
    Thanks a lot for your report.

7. BrianJ6

BrianJ6 Junior Member

Email sent with sample process and spindump files.

All, please make sure you're pulling Technical Data (Paralles>Help>Send Technical Data) and spindump data. It took me less than 5min to follow their page and collect all of the requested data. Post here that you have it collected and they can reach out via email to collect it.

8. Jamie Janssen

Jamie Janssen Bit poster

Will do that. Still strange it only affects Windows 10.

9. BrianJ6

BrianJ6 Junior Member

I think it's a combination of Windows10 and Parallels 14. I've been running Windows 10 on my machine for the past 14 months or so and Windows10 was relatively flawless on 13. There was a little delay glitch from time to time but not nearly as bad as this (it was more specific to Adobe Reader/PDF files). Upgraded to Parallels 14 thinking that might help and it got worse. Being that Parallels 14 is "optimized" for Mojave, I thought that my be my problem because I had not upgraded MacOS, so I proceeded in that but nothing has changed. I would argue that I run my OS's pretty lean, rarely much other open than mail, web browser, and maybe a PDF. I stripped all the junk from Windows 10 so even with "only" 2 cores and 8GB of RAM, I have a hard time believing that it's a hardware problem. I can be fresh off startup with one app open and it still hangs regularly.

Hopefully Parallels can help get us fixed up with a little more traction back on this board and a few of us helping them out.

10. Jamie Janssen

Jamie Janssen Bit poster

I can confirm that: I'm running besides Linux variants official 64-bit versions of Windows XP Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10 official and various Trial versions of Windows Server. Every OS boots in less than 30s some in less than 10s except W10.

11. Thanks a lot for your reply and provided info.
    I've escalate this info to the Parallels Engineering team for the further investigation.
    Once we get any updates or possible workaround we will let you know.

12. nanooq

nanooq Member

I was also (kinda) excited to see that there is an update and installed it. However, I'm so disappointed with PD14 at this point in time that I didn't even care to check if there are any improvements. I tried in the next days...just to see that there are no changes. Still need to boot Windows 10 and then do something else in the meantime -until I can use it some 6 minutes or so later. I only use it if I HAVE to.
    Ubuntu boots faster (a lot slower than under PD12/13 though) but in every session when I use it longer than 15 mins, it has (almost-) freezes during which I can't use the systems since it's responding to mouse clicks or keyboard strokes with a delay of 30-60 secs. If I'm lucky it goes away after some minutes and comes back later, if not I have to stop it completely (from MAC OS) and restart.
    No clue what they have done to the PD I really liked. I seriously would like to go back to PD12/13 and will investigate on VMware (or other options) migrations as soon as I have more time.

13. BrianJ6

BrianJ6 Junior Member

I have been focusing on performance during use and not really thinking about the issues I have during startup/shutdown. During startup this morning, it operated as it "normally" does which is similar to what Jamie and nanooq are describing. With Windows and Parallels being properly and completely shut down, I launched Parallels and then started Windows. It took 1 minute and 17 seconds for Windows to display the password entry and be responsive. As the screenshot shows in the technical report below, Windows appears to hang after showing the initial landing page or sometimes after the password entry pops up.

Technical Report 301143544

14. Nanook

Nanook Junior Member

Checked the boot time again since I was surprised by a previous statement of 1:45 "only" but seems to be an exception (or measuring fault), it feels longer and I stopped the time again:
    0:30 circling dots
    2:15 circling dots gone
    2:25 welcome screen (picture)
    3:00 Desktop appears !, cursor shows "busy circle" on click event
    3:25 Desktop ready to react to mouse events​
    So, better than the 4,5 minutes weeks ago but still way behind the significantly less than 1 minute before the "upgrade" to PD14.
    Technical Report: 301155359

15. BrianJ6

BrianJ6 Junior Member

This is going to sound strange but is completely true....

Parallels notified me that I could reclaim reasonable hard disk space so I allowed it to get to work. As has become expected, Parallels froze in the process and required that I force shutdown and restart my computer. If you've done this, you know it corrupts your VM file and if you're like me, you didn't make a copy of the 65GB file before starting. I do however backup my machine through Time Machine and had it backup my Windows VM two days prior. Restored Windows from Time Machine, attempted reclaiming disk space again which worked successfully and then, here's the weird part.... I haven't had any of the usual delays/glitches/hanging I was having prior.

I've reclaimed hard disk space several times in the past so that wasn't the fix. How would restoring the VM from a backup, a backup that I was experiencing the issue within, fix all of my problems and now run smoothly?

16. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

Hello,

i've just written back a current TimeMachine backup like BrianJ6 wrote it down and it's unbelievable: start Windows 1.30 minutes and with the Windows user interface can work relatively smoothly (for comparison with the same VM on an external SSD Start Windows in 18 seconds and very fast Windows user interface)

17. TheNathan187

TheNathan187 Junior Member

not sure if this applies or if this thread is still alive

i had been on pd 14 for a couple of months. i have it installed on my laptop and on my imac (2012, 32 gb ram, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5). I recently updated macOS (ordinary software update...was already running Mojave). So I opened Parallels and tried to burn a blu-ray using anydvd. Ever since then, my computer goes haywire.

I had to power down my imac because it was frozen. From that point on, my mac hasn't been working right. The support rep told me to set the graphics memory to auto and for 'hypersio' (something like that)...they told me to set it to apple. they also told me to run first aid on my mac. after all that...it still wasn't working right. i only seemed to be "normal" after i uninstalled toolbox and parallels desktop. support has been working with me and they even gave me a new product key so i can reinstall (per my insistence). however, i feel that parallels wasn't properly removed from my system, because it didn't ask me for a new product key. i'm afraid to open parallels on my laptop because i think it will be hosed like my imac

very frustrating for i depend on parallels for my visual studio work. i'm hoping i can downgrade to 13.

also, i was using parallels home and not pro...not sure if that has anything to do with it. i mistakenly bought parallels home and was pretty pissed off about that too (however my fault for not being too attentive)

anyone else suffering such an issue?

18. TheNathan187

@BrianJ6 have you had any luck on isolating the problem. i stated in my post that everything appeared to be running fine. up until I: did a software update on my iMac (i already had mojave) and on my vm, i tried to rip a blu ray using any dvd. since then, my mac would freeze....i would reboot...run first aid, etc. still my mac would freeze up...get the spinning ball. when i uninstalled parallels toolbox and parallels desktop...those problems have stopped. since i have been able to use vscode, remote in my work desktop and just do ordinary stuff without any hiccup at all. imac: 2012, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB, mojave 10.14.4)

on my laptop....parallels tools 2.0.4 (1219), parallels desktop 14.1.3 (45485)

scared to run parallels on my mac laptop now...but i've been using my laptop recently without issues...although i haven't run parallels lately

19. CamiloV1

CamiloV1 Bit poster

Same here, Im running on Mbp Mid 2015 16ram SSD512gb it seems like the version is not compatible with it... its just to matter of initialize parallels for increasing cpu and fan speed to the top, damn guys this software is not cheap and you didn't offer a concrete solution for every one who wrote here... this is my ReportID : 309876136

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  20. TheNathan187

for what it is worth...i have fixed my problem.

what happened was...i did indeed try to rip a blu ray movie using anydvd within my vm of windows 10 on my mac. the program, vm instance and macos hung for quite a while and i had to physically shutdown the computer. long story short, doing that corrupted the vm.

luckily, i backed up my vm before doing all this ripping. i removed the pvm file from my documents folder and placed my backup there. uninstalled and reinstalled parallels...opened that particular instance. haven't had any problems sense. i did go back and forth with the support guys (i thought it was parallel toolbox that was the rpblem). so if your vm (pvm file is corrupt...this may cause problems)