Ubuntu Linux no longer has shared Mac folders

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by PaulC13, Feb 22, 2019.

1. PaulC13

PaulC13 Bit poster

I'm using Parallels Desktop for Mac, Version 14.1.2 (45479)
    For some reason, after the most recent Parallels update, sharing Mac volumes and/or folders no longer works in Ubuntu Linux, even though the Sharing of Mac volumes is enabled. When I first opened the Linux vm after the Parallels update it seemed to begin an installation of the Parallels Toolbox, but it crashed the entire vm. Now I can't even re-install Toolbox again. And my Parallels shared folders from Mac are broken.
    What can I do to restore this?

2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Probably you're speaking about Parallels Tools, not about Toolbox.
    Please, provide Parallels Tools installation log from Ubuntu VM. It is placed in /var/log/parallels-tools-installation.log.

3. PaulC13

PaulC13 Bit poster

Here's the file, attached.

4. PaulC13

PaulC13 Bit poster

Yes, that's right, Parallels Tools. Attached is the log.

Attached Files:

5. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Please try to reinstall Parallels Tools again: when VM is running in Mac application menu select Actions -> Install Parallels Tools (or Reinstall Parallels Tools or Update Parallels Tools-this depends on the state of Parallels Tools in this virtual machine).

6. PaulC13

PaulC13 Bit poster

Right. Nothing happens when I have done that, and I've done it multiple times and nothing happens.

7. VincentM9

VincentM9 Bit poster

I have the same problem (running Arch Linux instead of Ubuntu, but that should not be the cause). I activated the sharing of the home directory, but inside Parallels, there are no files to be found in /mnt/psf. Any advice on how to fix this, or an idea on what the cause of the problem could be?

Right now, I am using the trial version of Parallels, and will decide in the next few days whether or not to purchase it. If the functionality shared directories does not work, I'll unfortunately have to look for another solution than Parallels. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

8. JayF4

JayF4 Bit poster

I think Parallels support for Linux has gone to sh$*. I run parallels on macOS (x86_64). Parallel Tools for Fedora 38 is broken, doesn't install, and I've given the log file and service support has no clue what to do with it (hint: give it to the development team). File sharing between RHEL8.7 (the VM) and macOS (the computer) doesn't work.

9. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

Today, we released the Parallels Desktop 18.3 update.

In this version the issue has been fixed, please update Parallels Desktop to the latest version 18.3

10. assadfa

assadfa Bit poster

This is horrible. Your yesterdays update ruined everything. No longer do shared folders work for Mac for Debian VMs. What are we paying for? This is critical use feature. Why did you break something that was working fine? How do I revert update back?
    And no, I'm not posting my logs on a public forum.

11. assadfa

assadfa Bit poster

How do I downgrade version to previous one?

12. assadfa

assadfa Bit poster

WTH is going on? Now it is suddenly asking for "account" all of the sudden? I had paid for service fair and square. I had added the license key, now suddenly it wants "account". I don't want "account", I want to enter license key, where can I enter license key? If you don't make it like ti was before, I will have to complain to paypal. This is NOT normal.