Insider Preview Not Instaing

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Anthony Mattas, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Anthony Mattas

Anthony Mattas Bit poster

I'm trying to install Windows 10 Pro Insider Build 18348.1 on x64 with UEFI Secure Boot on for a new VM. When I tel windows to Restart and Update Parallels throws and exception and stops the VM. When I manually start is again Windows 10 rolls back the update (which it then try to re-download and instal again).

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Pentad

Pentad Junior Member

I had the same issue with 18346.1 that was posted earlier in the week. I was hoping 18348.1 would resolve the issue. What version of Parallels are you on 13 or 14? I'm running 13 but have seen others post that 14 crashes as well.

However, a friend is running VMWare 11.0.2 and says 18348.1 is running fine for him.

3. Anthony Mattas

Anthony Mattas Bit poster

I'm running 14.1.2 (45479).

I've tried both 18348.1, and the skip ahead release 18845 with the same problem. I've also tried with a few "other" builds I have access to as well.

I have a copy of VMware I could spin up, but the performance is meh on VMware compared to Parallels.

4. Pentad

Pentad Junior Member

I'm running Parallels 13.3.2 on MacOS 10.14.3 with Windows Insider Build 18343.19h1 without issue. Up until 18346.1, I have never had any issues with any Windows Insider Builds since Microsoft started them. I'm a c# programmer using VS 2017 and 2019 Beta so I like testing with the Insider Builds. I'm not sure what changed in 18346 and 18348 to crash Parallels. There is some speculation on Reddit that these builds changed the Spectre/Meltdown patches which is why Parallels is crashing now.

5. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Bit poster

Not happy that others are experiencing these crashes, but pleased to see I am not alone. I'm sure Parallels is investigating as we speak.

Dmitry@Parallels likes this.
  6. Guys, could you please generate the problem report right after the issue reproduced and reply us back with the report ID.

7. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi guys, we have diagnosed the issue with the latest Insider Preview build. Please workaround the crash with instructions from this article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/124642

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  8. StephenF7

StephenF7 Bit poster

Success!
    Thanks Dmitry, works fine now. Out of interest what changed in Windows Update to cause this issue?

Now on Build 18348.1

9. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Bit poster

The boot flag also allowed me to be updated as well.

As a technology consultant, I am curious if you could explain exactly what this flag is meant to do, why it's necessary (Windows issue or Parallels issue) and what the future fix will be. I don't need to include this in all future setups going forward, do I?

Thanks!

10. Dmitry@Parallels

+ @Ensoniq, Microsoft started to use x2APIC interrupt delivery in this Insider Preview build even when system has less than 128 CPUs. Please rest assured that this issue will be fixed permanently, either by Microsoft or by Parallels:) For now please use this boot flag to workaround the issue.

Danil@Parallels likes this.
  11. MikhailT1

MikhailT1 Member

Dmitry, please update this thread when you know where the fix is.

Thank you for the workaround!

12. MikhailT1

MikhailT1 Member

Anyone having issues installing 18353.1 release from yesterday, I can't install it again even with the workaround. I get
    0x80242016 error.

13. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Bit poster

Fortunately, I didn't have that issue with the upgrade. So perhaps it's specific to your setup.

14. Dmitry@Parallels

Guys, we have fixed this issue and released the hotfix, it will take little time to arrive to updater. You can download it manually here.
    After installing the update the affected Win10 Insider Preview VM will start/update successfully.
    You can remove the boot flag from VM settings.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Danil@Parallels likes this.
  15. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Bit poster

Dmitry - I was able to install both 18353.1 and 18356.1 without needing to download and install the updated Parallels. I do however still have the "devices.x2apic.enable=0" boot flag manually enabled in Parallels Version 14.1.2 (45479).

After installing the next Parallels update, should this manual boot flag be removed?

Thanks Parallels Team! (Hi, Danil!)

16. Dmitry@Parallels

Hi @Ensoniq, yes you are right, you can remove the boot flag after installing the update.
    I will forward your greeting to Danil:)

17. JulsS

JulsS Member

Thanks for the quick hotfix. I removed the boot flag and the VM is working fine with the hotfix installed.
    juls

Dmitry@Parallels likes this.
  18. MikhailT1

MikhailT1 Member

Today's Windows insider update 18358.1 is crashing Parallels again (without the boot flag). Sent in the report (303262523).

19. Dmitry@Parallels

Hi @MikhailT1, your virtual machine was in Suspended state, so after you resumed it the VM crashed once, and after the crash on the next reboot x2APIC will be disabled and the VM should work stable. Is the VM running fine now?

20. MikhailT1

MikhailT1 Member

Hi @Dmitry@Parallels,
    I'm not sure I understand, I can't change the boot flag while suspended, so the VM was shut down fully before I even started the Windows update to install that update, and then it crashed after VM restarted to finish the update. It didn't crash after it resume, maybe the report didn't see the VM was restarting?

It did work fine when it restarted once more and I was in 18356.1 for now. I've paused the Windows updates for another week. I am not able to install any Windows updates since 18356.1.

I can try to repeat the process once more if you want me to send in another report.