Windows XP Program crash happening in Coherence only: how can I find the crash info?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by rkcarter, Sep 4, 2007.

1. rkcarter

rkcarter Junior Member

Hi,

My immediate, specific problem (which I think I'll have to help "you" to help me; this is an 8-year-old version of my software I'm running) is that I'm using Franklin Planner Software v7.3.6 (www.franklincovey.com makes it, but is up to a whole rewritten replacement these days -- this one works fine for me though) under Windows XP SP2 with the latest patches, under Parallels (3.x, v4560) under Mac OS X 10.4.10. It works fine in Parallels OS Window mode, all the time. But if I put it up in Coherence, it crashes under certain circumstances (which I'll detail at the end of the message*; I suspect few others use this software, especially this now-ancient version). Under Coherence, it will crash maybe 1-2 times an hour in a specific set of circumstances.

BUT, I'm trying to figure out and therefore report back here what SORT of crash it is. It will ask me to share the details with Microsoft, but I'd much rather share them with you (i.e. is it running out of memory? Is there some sort of crash log? Is it a video driver that's complaining?) In general, if one has a program under Windows XP and it complains that it wants to tell Microsoft all about the crash, does it save the logs locally thereafter? Are they useful to this forum and/or Parallels support? If they are not saved by default, is there anything I can do to save them?

* (the details, in case they help). It works fine in OS Window mode for hours on end. However, in Coherence mode, if I search FPS for a string over a wide date range (I tend to use future dates in 2021 and 2022 for specific sorted lists I want to keep, since there's no way to have a sorted task list NOT on a date) -- since the highest supported date in the program is 1/1/2500 I tend to use that as the end date on a lot of sorts. Every so often, in Coherence, I get the crash (not consistently, and I'm unsure if it's specific strings that set it off). And it never once has happened in many days/weeks/months/versions of Parallels EXCEPT under Parallels Coherence.

2. rkcarter

rkcarter Junior Member

To answer my own question, I made it happen again (and found a search string that makes it consistently happen under coherence) ... and I hadn't noticed a "click here" link on the "Send error report to Microsoft?'

3. rkcarter

rkcarter Junior Member

and the crash logs...

I don't know if these two help... the temporary .txt file referred to is too large to upload but I could upload part of it if anyone thinks they can get anything useful out of it.

Definitely Coherence. I found a search string that when I get back results, I click on one and it crashes but only under Coherence. In fact I can have the system in any mode, and put it in OS Window just before clicking on the results, and it finds the result fine. If I go back to the search page and put it in Coherence and click on the result, it crashes at the same spot.

Attached Files:

4. rkcarter

rkcarter Junior Member

This problem completely disappeared in Build 5160. I'm a very happy guy with Coherence, right now!